Fast Running Blog
April 30, 2024, 12:37:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Achilles Issues - Approaching 5 months since Injury  (Read 3944 times)
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« on: June 11, 2008, 11:19:54 am »

So, perhaps it's because I'm overcautious or perhaps neurotic, but I'm still feeling some pain in my achilles, usually after being on my feet at work for 8 or 9 hours. I have started biking as many of you know, and I have 0 pain even on the 2 hour + rides. Sasha suggested I start incorporating slow jogging @ 12:00 pace into my routine to try and "retrain" the achilles.

So far this week I've done two "jogs", one being a 3 miler in about 34:14, and then I did 2 miles today during my bike ride using the Galloway method of running: walking with 4 mins on (jog): 30 seconds off (walk). What are your all's thoughts on this progression. Should I be thinking about using the Galloway method? I am mainly just so frustrated that it's going to quickly be a whole half a year since I was able to run without this achilles issue looming over me. As it is I haven't raced since January 1st. Is this whole season scratched? I guess I just want to know if there's any other advice other than waiting it out. I will post any progress I guess with the 2 mile runs.. Oh and I've also started to restrict my intake of processed foods to see if a more healthful diet will contribute to healing.

Are there any specific foods that might aid tendon healing?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 11:26:50 am »

Benn - I am not a great fan of Galloway method except for people who cannot run aerobically at any pace, and maybe a few other abnormal exceptions. Just run straight and steady.

Regarding foods - I found some good info at

http://www.bodyresults.com/E2tendonnutrition.asp

I suppose they recommend seeds because they are rich in calcium. I imagine if you eat a well-balanced diet consisting of whole grains, nuts, seeds, fruits, and vegetables of a mixed variety that would speed up the healing/strengthening process.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 11:28:59 am »

Regarding the season - do not worry about it. Approach the whole issue from the perspective of lifetime fitness. Your season is going to last 10, 20, 30 years or longer, not just one year.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 12:26:33 pm »

I have told you this before, over and over again.  But here we go again.  When you have an imjury that is lasting as long as yours (I would say longer than 6 weeks) YOU NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP!!!!!  Some sort of massage or Physical therapy.  Yes this costs money but to me it is all worth the price and alot of times if insureance doesn't pay a PT will work something out with you.  It may even be an inbalance in your hips that is causing undue pressure on the achilles (maybe chiro is in order).  It is definaltey an imbalnce somewhere because it is not going away.  OK I am blue in the face and will stop know:)
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 12:55:26 pm »

Yeah, I don't like doing the PT, but so far it has been 3-for-3 in resolving injuries. So usually worth the investment.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: