Fast Running Blog
April 27, 2024, 09:49:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Euro 2008  (Read 11436 times)
Ruth Hilton
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 06:07:28 pm »

I resent that, Holt! I had a bit of ball handling skills -not a ton, but some- in addition to being able to run. Geez.

I think another reason that people end up doing something like soccer instead of running xc or track is because you get a lot less recognition in it. The "glory" sports are where kids end up going, even if they suck at them and their parents don't mind sending their kids that way in some vain hope that their kid will end up amazing.... like quite a few people we could name.
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 08:21:20 pm »

Take away the parental push, and the main reasons kids will choose a team sport over something like running are 1) it looks more exciting or funner and 2) you feel like you belong to something

Unless you're very skilled, or that sport is just your sport, there is very little hope for "standing out" glory in one of these sports.

My senior year I played soccer instead of running track (largely because the previous year's season had been a major dissapointment, and we would have no coach, little team that year). I knew that we had a good shot at winning Euro's (our equivalent to state) with our guys and that I would be a big part of that (my position and skill had me needed for every minute of the game). I wanted to be part of something good that year. I scored a few goals and had a great time. We went undefeated in the season but ended up 3rd in the tournament. I wasn't even noticed among the better players on the team.
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 08:47:02 pm »

I disagree that you get less attention in running. It's true that there is less attention from the "world" in general, but I remember that I used to play basketball when I was younger, and the number of people cheering for my team don't even compare to the number that cheer for me now that I run.
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 04:12:47 pm »

Going back to Euro 2008, did anyone watch the Germany vs. Turkey game today? It was crazy. 3 goals scored in around 7 minutes.
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 05:29:17 pm »

I watched the first half then had to go to work. Turkey was playing like they meant it. They are a good team but still inexpierenced. Sad to see them lose when Germany was not playing up to par at all this game.
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 08:19:43 pm »

Well the second half was where the action got crazy. The tv feed kept breaking up from the weather, and during the signal loss, two goals were scored. I thought for sure that this game would go into overtime.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: