Fast Running Blog
March 28, 2024, 05:26:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Animal encounters  (Read 51039 times)
Michael
Lurker

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2008, 07:56:43 pm »

This was in the news today:

PRESCOTT, Ariz. - Authorities in Arizona say a jogger attacked by a rabid fox ran a mile with the animal's jaws clamped on her arm and then drove herself to a hospital. The Yavapai County sheriff's office said the woman told deputies she was on a trail near Prescott on Monday when the fox attacked and bit her foot.

She said she grabbed the fox by the neck when it went for her leg but it bit her arm.

The woman wanted the animal tested for rabies so she ran a mile to her car with the fox still biting her arm, then pried it off and tossed it in her trunk and drove to the Prescott hospital.

The sheriff's office says the fox later bit an animal control officer. He and the woman are both receiving rabies vaccinations.

Question - lets say you were in a very prestigious race and you were winning, and this happened to you, would you run the last mile with a fox clamped on your arm
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2008, 12:08:01 pm »

I'm not sure why she felt the need to take the fox with her, since it is a given that she would have to undergo rabies vaccinations anyways.  No, I wouldn't carry it at a race.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 03:25:08 pm »

o.k...this has been a big animal week for me.  Just a few days ago I was finishing a jog and a fox was staring me down from the bottom of the hill I was hoping to climb.  All I could think about was that woman in Arizona who carried the rabid fox on her arm for a mile.  I slowed to a stop and then a deer startled the fox who then took off.  A day later I was heading up a hill and my attention was focussed on a car coming down from the opposite direction when suddenly I was startled by a deer to my left close enough to touch- literally 5-10 feet from me.  I almost ran or should I say jumped out in front of the car.  They were still distant enough to easily avoid me and looked to be quite amused by my reaction to the deer.  Finally, today I was on a trail near a stream that feeds a lake and a woman coming from the opposite direction said to beware of the huge beaver behind her a hundred yards or so...I didn't think much of it (who's afraid of beavers?) until the biggest beaver I've ever seen jumped into the water (frightened of me) and made such a splash that I jumped like a cartoon character.  I'm starting to feel a bit on the edge on my wilderness runs!
Mike Davis
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2012, 11:08:46 pm »

Wow Dave! It sounds like you've had an exciting week. I was hit by a small kamikaze bird while riding my motorcycle on HWY 1 last week just before two very close calls with a cow and an owl, but nothing noteworthy while running lately. I don't spend much time on the trails though.

-Mike

Running without hills is like motorcycling without corners.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2012, 10:34:52 am »

ah, suicidal birds. it reminds me of this one time...

http://allie.fastrunningblog.com/blog--some-days-don-t-go-as-planned-drivin/04-02-2009.html
MarkP_
Lurker

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2012, 07:01:38 pm »

"...a woman coming from the opposite direction said to beware of the huge beaver behind her..."  I want to comment, but really don't know what else to say....lol!
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2012, 02:33:23 pm »

Wow, wow, and wow!! Always enjoy a little extra feedback.  Smiley
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2012, 04:43:35 pm »

I screamed at a cockroach in the bathroom at the track yesterday.  Is that categorized as an impressive animal encounter?Huh 
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2014, 09:35:22 pm »

http://jon.fastrunningblog.com/blog-Lunch-7-Tired-didn-39-t-even-try-to-/03-13-2014.html

I hate turkeys.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2014, 07:45:09 pm »

Here's a new one- I saw two lobsters walking down the middle of the road during my run today. I'm no where near the ocean or any other place they could come from, but there they were, tramping down the road. One of the strangest things I've ever seen.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: