Fast Running Blog
May 02, 2024, 07:32:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1:30 half marathon  (Read 4713 times)
Lauren
Lurker

« on: June 03, 2008, 11:54:21 am »

Hello all!
I am going to begin training for a fall half-marathon with the goal of running a 1:30, and I wanted to submit a training-review request.
This will be a big time drop for me (PR is 1:42), but I have never truly trained for that distance. I've always just "done" half marathons, either on a whim, or en-route to another training goal.
I truly believe that with hard work and patience, this is a realistic goal for me; but I need help!!
I will begin training in 2 weeks (I'm currently recovering from a June 1 marathon), and am truly dedicated to making this happen, even if it's not on the first try.
I am already running 6 days per week (except last week before the marathon), usually 5-8 miles per day (except the next 2 weeks while I recover). I prefer to do my long runs on Saturdays, and my day off on Sundays. I also typically run in the mornings, but have time to run in the evenings if I need extra mileage.
Any help or advice you can offer would be great!! Thank you SO much!!  Smiley
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 12:10:34 pm »

Start training sooner than two weeks after the marathon. You've already tapered, that should have been plenty of advance rest. If your body tells you you can run, do. Just do not push it, go close to normal distance but slower. A marathon does put a stress on the body, but its magnitude is often exaggerated by the running media and folklore.

If you are too sore to run, cross train until you are able to run. Do not rest passively by any means.

Once you feel you are ready to train 100%. Start by running no less than 8 miles a day at no faster than 9:00 pace. That may feel awfully slow, but better err on the side of slow than overtraining or injury. Go maybe 14-16 on your long runs and finish them fast. Last 3 miles at 7:00 pace or faster. Run a few accurate 5 Ks and 10 Ks with absolutely no tapering to gauge your fitness. If 8 miles feels like too much to be done at once,  you can do 5+3 in doubles. Some of the 8 mile runs can be finished with the last two miles at 7:00 pace if you are still feeling feisty with no warning signs of a possible injury when you get to 6 miles, and it is the middle or the end of the week.
Lauren
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 01:03:23 pm »

Okay, I feel like I'll be back to normal after a few runs. So I'm glad you said it's okay to start back sooner!
I'll plan on starting the 8 miles/day as my "long" run on Saturday, and then regularly next week. Thanks for the advice, I've been excited for WEEKS to start training for this! I'm glad the marathon is finally over so that I can start Smiley
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 05:15:31 pm »

I think your goals (1:30 in Oct and 3:30 in December) can be done.  However, your 1:30 goal is actually a loftier goal than your 3:30 goal.  A 1:30 translates roughly into a 3:15-3:20 marathon. 

I would agree with Sasha in general, but here is some more feedback:  I think it's ok to have your slow mileage be 8:30 or slower at first.  Once you get used to the higher mileage the pace will naturally drop but the concept is keep easy days clearly easy.  I think that you should stay away from the track workouts, since the track is tangential to 1/2 marathon and marathon training and track workouts are riskier in terms of injuries.  However, if you really like intervals you can do them on the road with caution, 1 mile repeats or longer are more beneficial than anything shorter than that.  I think you can do your tempo runs in the week, not just on Saturday as Sasha stated.  Doing tempos in your longer runs, however, will make you stronger and simulate the race better. 

If you build your base, keep easy days easy and hard days hard, and don't skip any running days, I think you'll continue to shave off time on your races with ease. 

BTW-I lived in Tucson for three years, but I only miss running there in the winter.  I used to go to Reid park all the time with my oldest son when he was a toddler.  So what is BPR?
Lauren
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 09:50:05 am »

Thanks for your input and advice Michelle! And I agree, my half marathon goal is fairly lofty compared to my marathon goal. For me, the marathon has been SUCH a head game. I know I have the potential to run faster than 3:30, I'm just still learning how to control my head Smiley The marathon last weekend was the first time I was able to run it correctly; although in hind-sight, my pace may have been a little too conservative. So I'll keep chipping away at my marathon time and gaining experience, and eventually will be able to run a faster race.
I'm somehow more drawn to training for the half marathon right now, because I feel like I have more potential to develop into a "good" runner at that distance. Although I do realize that I may not hit 1:30 on the first try... it's a pretty big time drop!
How long ago did you live in Tucson? I agree that the summers are not something to miss... it's tough to train through the intense heat. But it's worth it for the winters! Smiley If you ever come back this way, be sure you stop by www.bluepantsracing.com and join us for a workout! Smiley
I can't wait to start training, and I really appreciate both you and Sasha's advice. I'm trying not to be too eager to start, and really listen to my body in terms of recovery. But I'm excited to get started and have help and support from the bloggers along the way!
Keep the tips and advice coming, I'm soaking it all up!
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 01:10:48 pm »

There's no such thing as too eager!  Just don't go crazy with the training too soon.

I lived in Scottsdale 1998-1999 then Tucson in 1999-2002.  I used to run along a big dry canal a couple miles north of UofA.  Lots of dog owners think the leash laws don't apply to them there but they are wrong! 
Lauren
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 04:53:03 pm »

Hahaha, you are right about the dog owners on the River Path (although there's no water in the "river" on the river path). It's awful when some dog comes up to sniff you and gets in your way and messes up your rhythm. But on the route near my house, if you go early enough in the morning, it's fairly quiet. Smiley  Our group runs at Reid Park too, so it's neat that you know a few of those courses!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: