Fast Running Blog
April 28, 2024, 01:17:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mentally Dealing With Injury  (Read 3118 times)
Nick Miller
Lurker

« on: June 02, 2008, 12:23:16 pm »

I am curious as to how everyone deals with injury. I have remained fairly "healthy" in the past, I now find myself battling a fairly substancial injury(s). With no clear end in sight, mentally, I feel like I am in a washing machine. Some days I feel indifferent about the whole situation, some days I feel motivated to cross train and try everything I can to overcome this obstacle and stay fit, and sometimes I don't even care about running, wondering why I even partake in this sport (after all, not that long ago I did nothing and remained perfectly happy). I have strived to keep mental composure, but it is incredibly tough. Sometimes I feel like I have the whole thing figured out, and I am in control of the situation, but then something miniscule will put me back over the edge into a nervous/anxious/worried/angry whirlwind. Anytime I see ANYONE running it opens the wound again, whether it be a teammate or a mother jogging with a baby stoller. What agitates me most is the fact that I know that if I were healthy, I could definitely be in our top five this next XC season. All I need and want to do is run...and I can't!!!
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 12:51:30 pm »

Nick I really think this is how we all feel.  Injuries are very frustrating, and I wish it was easier than it is.  But it is not, we work our tail end off to run fast or make improvements,  and to only get injured.  When I am injured I try my best to keep in shape, not always easy to find the motivation.  And like you I try to keep my spirits up but like you every time I see someone running it makes me long to run.  Just understand that there is a reason why you are injured (overtraining, not stretching,ect..)  learn how to listen and take care of your body during this time.  Learn proper stretching techniques and get in the habit to use them daily.  I promise this will help.  Just come to terms that you will be a mental case until you can run again.  It does get better with time, but never is fully releived untill we can feel the warm pavement under out feet. 
Keep your spirits up and keep doing the crosstraining.
Tim
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 01:56:36 pm »

Nick,

One thing that I have learned over the years of running is to create new goals when I'm injured.  It looks like you are swimming now to keep in shape, a goal could be to be able to swim so far without stopping.  Back in high school I had a stress fracture in the middle of the season so I started to bike.  I made goals everday (i.e. continue hard and easy days, how far go I ride in an hour) on what I wanted to accomplish so my mind felt like I was making progress.  Of course the end goal is to run again.  I hope this helps.  Good luck. 
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 08:48:24 am »

Let me add to what the others have said so far to not let yourself go to pot.  In 2005 and 2006 I was registered to run St. George and both years had to pull out due to a strained (or pulled) calf - one year I managed strain both, one right after the other Smiley  Unlike you, where you are trying to get some good crosstraining in to keep up your fitness, I just turned into a couch potato.  I would just try to find any activities you can that will give you a good cardio workout while also working the legs.  Biking, swimming, aquajogging, etc.  Whatever is going to be low/no impact while also allowing you to let your soleus heal.  Have faith, you WILL get better . . .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: