Fast Running Blog
April 30, 2024, 10:48:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: race reports search  (Read 5518 times)
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« on: May 31, 2008, 03:48:55 pm »

Sasha, is there any way that you could add a search function to the race reports page to look up specific races or dates easier?

With so many people running on a given weekend, it takes a lot of clicking to check out a race from a few months ago or even a race from the same month a year before.
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 04:59:41 pm »

I was just thinking about this, too - what about having a drop-down menu for the Utah races that are currently on the race calendar, as well as a drop-down menu for standard distances, or a custom distance to enter if it is not listed (similar to what is on the race predictor) rather than have everyone type in the name of the race how they think it is, which results in different names for the same race?  It seems this would also help with a race report search function, since you could search either by a race listed in the drop-down menu *or* type in the name of a race if it is not listed.  Dunno if this would be too hard or not, since I am no programmer . . .
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 03:31:54 pm »

We first need to have a real calendar.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 08:15:36 pm »

I think a "real calendar" is rather subjective- how many races do you put?  Which ones?  I think one easier way would be to have a "search by date" box, so you can just fill in when the race was and see all race reports for that day.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 08:20:35 pm »

I think the "real calendar" would have to be made retroactively. Basically the first person who enters the race into a race report enters it into the database. After that, the race is available for other people to make reports on, and available to search. This is a somewhat similar model to Athlinks.com, where the bank of races is all user-created. Yes, once in a while a race will get submitted twice under two different names (ie - Moab Half Marathon vs. Canyonlands Half Marathon), because the user wasn't paying attention. But the benefit is that the races and calendar can get truly nation-wide (or even global) without much administrative maintenance.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 10:56:47 am »

We have no working calendar infrastructure in the code at this time.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 11:08:52 am »

Is it possible to just search for all race reports on a given day?  For example, there are drop down boxes for Month, Day, and Year.  Then the blog shows you all race reports that people gave on that day.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 11:42:13 am »

I can add the date range filter. On the TODO list.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 12:03:59 pm »

Excellent, thanks Sasha.  That would make it a lot easier to go look at, say, all the St. George marathon race reports from 2005, rather than having to scroll back in the Races page 50 times.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: