Fast Running Blog
April 29, 2024, 06:29:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Spiritual side of running  (Read 13106 times)
Jesse
Lurker

« on: May 31, 2008, 03:30:37 pm »

There's a lot of things that can go through one's head while running, I'm wondering if anyone else feel's closer to God through the experience.  I guess it depends on your spirituality to begin with.  First I'm just thankful for a body that can run, then I relish the physical challenge put in front of me, as my brain clears out the stresses and cares of the day, I can enjoy the scenery, flush out bad thoughts, bad form, get into a relaxed state and commune with the Spirit in the Sky.
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 05:03:38 pm »

You are definitely not the only one.  I would surmise many of us here on the blog feel the same way, and if you want to look at a high-profile runner, look at Ryan Hall and his wife, Sara.  Every interview they give, every article they write, they mention somewhere how running allows them to glorify God.  Regardless of how well he does at the Olympics, and whether his wife makes the Olympic team in either the 1500 or 5000, they will both be my heroes for unashamedly giving glory to God for their talents and using them to benefit others as well.
Jody Hinton
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:41:25 am »

I absolutely agree.  There is something about pushing and taking care of the body God gave us that makes running a spiritual experience.  I love the sunrises, mountains and being able to be experience something that no one else does at that exact moment.   Until I started running I took for granted the beauty of this area and my health.  Running has brought new gratitude for the gifts of our Father in Heaven.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 11:36:18 am »

I have to agree. Back in high school I had this discussion with my pastor. In the other states I've lived (IL and MO) Sunday is the main long run day for everyone and that would often conflict with church. However, my argument was that what better way to get closer to God than to spend time with Him in His creation. The answer I got back of course was that most runs aren't spent in devotional to God. However, I will say I've had many a good conversation about the existence of God and the general concept of faith during a run. Also, to answer your question to get out there and enjoy the world, the animals, the sunny days, or starry mornings/nights, the strength and wonder of our bodies does have its place in my weekly spiritual time. I think that is one of the reasons why I still run on Sundays...
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 02:10:40 pm »

Agreed with Adam. Running is an excellent time for prayer and meditation.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 03:41:56 pm »

Work in general is a form of worship. Running is a form of work. You push your body to the limit, and discover something special, something nobody will understand unless they've experienced it. However, work of this kind is not the only form of worship. We also worship through music, by partaking of the sacrament, and by attending Sunday School. And we need to rest as well. There needs to be a balance. That is why God gave us six days to labor and one day to rest.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 04:11:23 pm »

and naps. Don't forget naps.
KellyP
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 10:48:02 pm »

This very topic has been rattling about in my brain for the past couple of weeks. There are several forms of moving meditation used in many different cultures but meditating while running would certainly not work for me while running alongside traffic on even small residential streets.

I do find myself much more reflective and thoughtful on my runs. Being outdoors where I can see wildlife and the landscape often triggers such feelings for me. On occasion I run by the local cemetery and this of course gives me reasons to reflect on ancestors and the natural cycle of life. All good things for mature man to consider as he tries to improve his health.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 07:06:33 am »

I occasionally run through the local cemetary where several of my great grandparent, an uncle, and a few other relatives are buried.  It certainly lends itself to introspection.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 08:44:18 am »

Jon, I have to agree about the cemetary runs. I haven't done that in awhile but used to regularly. Something about them does lend itself to spiritual thought. I used to do all my cycling in cemetaries as well (as it was one of the few "safe" places in the Chicago southside) and it was one of the most calming experiences.
Jesse
Lurker

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 11:15:23 am »

I find that running is a pretty good balance of what my spirituality should be.  Running can be a form of obligation because it's hard to get out there every day, or just that it's not pure pleasure every time (or even most of the time) but there is a joy that comes from the discipline of it.  Most things in life are a balance of obligation and reward.  Spiritually as I learn from God through my life cirumstances, His word, and His people I can truly have a spirituality where doing the things I know I should, relying on God completely by faith, loving my neighbor as myself can all truly be a passion and a life character.

Having a spiritual breakthrough is like a new PR, you can train for it, plan it, and give your best effort but God is ultimately in control.  Ecclesiastes says time and chance happens to everyone, the race is not to the swift.  This is the practical application of the reality of life. 
Dawson Hinton
Lurker

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 01:13:36 am »

On occasion I run by the local cemetery and this of course gives me reasons to reflect on ancestors and the natural cycle of life. All good things for mature man to consider as he tries to improve his health.

Lately I have been running on a trail that goes alongside a cemetary here in town.  Although I often do more reflection during this short leg of the run, there was one particular day that I was hit hard.  I would even say that it impacted me for the entire rest of the run and continues to do so when I think back on it (like now).  To make a long story short, I ran by at the same time that one of the cemetary workers was digging a grave.  The thing that hit me the hardest was when I realized that the hole was only about one foot wide and no more than about two feet long.  Like I said before, it was a time of serious reflection for me.
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 02:04:46 pm »

I find it interesting that most people on this blog would say that they feel closer to God through their running. At the same time, most people also refrain from running on Sundays for the same or similar reasons cited by Sasha.

However, I also suspect that a majority of those who won't run on Sunday still watch football on Sunday or participate in other similar activities, which is entertaining, but highly unlikely to bring one closer to God. Why the discrepancy? Not sure, but I suspect peer pressure.

As one of the outliers, I will explain my reasoning. I work a lot and only get a limited amount of free time to run, spend with my family, etc. Most of this free time is on the weekend. Therefore I like putting in my miles on the weekend when I have a chance. If I have 12 hours of free time on Sunday, why use that day to rest my body when I might only have 2 hours of free time on Firday. If I run on Friday I just used up any time I might have spent on that day with my family. Isn't it better to wisely use my limited free time than to half-heartedly follow the traditional "day of rest". This may sound like justification, but I honestly would have otherwise just been watching football anyway. 

Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 04:42:01 pm »

I do not watch football on Sundays or ever for that matter. I would say a slow jog goes along with the concept of the Sabbath better than watching sports. But I do not do it for several reasons:

* It is good to have a scheduled day of rest for the body, six days shalt thou labor, and on the seventh shalt thou rest
* A slow relaxing jog for me might be heavy exercise for the spectator, therefore I might be teaching what I did not mean to teach
* I need time for family, church work, and a nap.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 04:50:46 pm »

I think that I perhaps left out the most important reason. The Sabbath needs to feel special, different from other days. There needs to be a spirit of reverence, a spirit of worship. For me not running on that day contributes to that spirit. Any other day I do what it takes to make my run (or two) happen - get up at 4:30 AM, run errands of foot, run in the rain, run in the heat, push a stroller, run around the block, run late at night after a long day, hardly any sacrifice is too big if it makes a difference between running and not running. On Sunday it is the opposite. I would sacrifice the Olympic race even if I knew that I had a solid chance to win. This helps me feel special about that day.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: