Fast Running Blog
April 30, 2024, 05:48:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ranked Mileage Boards  (Read 4586 times)
Adam R Wende
Frequently Posting Member

« on: May 30, 2008, 06:51:43 am »

I commented about this in the goose egg hunt but I didn't want it to get buried in the comments. Would it be possible to do directed mileage boards? It would be nice to have a selection criteria for the board you look at. There are people that can't and/or shouldn't run 120 mile weeks, for that matter there are people that probably shouldn't run 60 mile weeks. If we had a way of choosing what mileage range we are targeting and comparing weekly mileage versus those with like minded goals that would be great. Sasha, I have no idea how the programming is done or how difficult this would be but while you are setting up the filter for PR goals could we also have weekly mileage range goals and use this information for a filter to populate different mileage boards (i.e. an everyone running only board but then maybe 5 or so separate boards, <20, 30-50, 50-70, 70-90, 90+). Doing it this way you can have a tally counter of how frequently each person hits their target range, goes below it, or goes above it. Because when all is said and done I really only care how much I'm running compared to Jon Wink and a handful of others shooting for that sub-2:30   Tongue...
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 07:01:45 am »

Boy, someone is still apparently feeling a little miffed about that Strider's 10-miler!  Grin
Adam R Wende
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 07:07:07 am »

It was the TOU come back that really had me up at night crying though  Cry
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 11:31:30 am »

I'll start thinking of a good way to do it. Good = useful to enough people on the blog + does not make things difficult for everybody else + does not take a lot of time to implement + does not break half of the existing feature on accident.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 11:39:58 am »

Good = useful to enough people on the blog + does not make things difficult for everybody else + does not take a lot of time to implement + does not break half of the existing feature on accident.

Definitely true, as I've discovered from doing web and database development at work for the past year. The most important web development code I've learned is the "SAYNO" command.

paul.sayno = "True"
msgbox("Your request is too hard, will mess up the database, and will create a feature that only you want. Please remember that this is not magic.")
Exit Sub
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 12:05:09 pm »

Seems like a lot of work.  If you only have a few people you are following, then you can just scan through the previous weeks on their blogs since the total miles are displayed up top.  But if you have a lot, I guess this could make it easier.  That being said, it would require another box for each person to update (mileage goal), where I feel there are already more than enough boxes.  But if Sasha will do the work, why not?
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 07:37:03 pm »

Maybe a filter where we can sort by male, female, PR, state, etc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: