Fast Running Blog
June 05, 2024, 04:51:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: St George Marathon  (Read 11175 times)
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 08:58:15 am »

Craig:

Try to win a small marathon or a half that gives St. George entries. Pocatello did last year.
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 09:23:20 am »

Hey all - But James and Shauna in particular - The Courtyard does have availability (I just called and booked) they just show it as unavailable because you have to book a room through a coordinator.  Her name is Nicole.  The number is 435-986-0555.  You have to book two nights and the rate is $179 per night.  I think it is worthwhile because 1) they have shuttles to and from the event so I don't have to worry about how to get there and back, they have complementary massages for marathoners poolside on Saturday, a runners breakfast in the morning, MacK will likely be staying there, and of course, the Courtyard won't have lumpy beds and soft pillows, unlike the cheesy motel we stayed at last year.
James Winzenz

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 11:47:23 am »

Call me stingy Smiley - every time we have stayed in St. George, we have never stayed an extra day, but have preferred to drive home on Saturday.  However, perhaps it might be easier in terms of checkout policy . . . as I recall, last year, we had to hurry back to the Coronada so that we could check out.  I don't remember even getting the chance to shower after my run.  Lybi and I will have to talk about that.  BTW, just checked and the Coronada Inn does have availability for Friday night - $99.99 per night for a king bed suite (separate living area, plus fridge and microwave) plus tax.  I am thinking of changing my reservation - we have had pretty good experiences with them, and I have always slept fine on their beds.  They may not be huge, but they are big enough.  Can anyone comment on experiences at the Travelodge?
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 05:50:04 pm »

Yes, there are a few local races that give away entries to the winner. I witnessed the 5k last year that Watler was at. He thought he had it in the bag, but then these hardcore young college runners blew by towards the end. I would do well if I could find a half marathon that will give away an entry. I'll look.
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 06:10:13 pm »

Craig there is also the Grand Slam method to get in (thanks Cal for pointing this out to me). You would have to register by the end of the month I think ($45 ?) and then sign up, run and finish DesNews, ParkCity and TOU. Certainly not the most convenient way to get in but an option nonetheless.

Looks like I'm in the same boat as you as well as my wife Kim. I'm not feeling to happy about the SGM folks right now since I had received an email in early April telling me I was guaranteed but now I get an email today telling me I messed up by originally signing Kim and I up for the lottery under a group name so I'm out of luck. This is 2 years straight now they've jerked me around.

There is also the charity route, however I noticed bidding for the charity auction entries have been going for hundreds of dollars.
MikL
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 09:24:04 am »

Wow Tom, I think you have really gotten screwed the last two years! It is absolutely unbelievable to me that they didn't let you run last year at the last minute and now they aren't letting you in again. I would definitely be making some calls to those with more authority and telling them your story. That is really messed up! I am embarrassed of the City of St. George when it comes to their running events.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 09:29:30 am »

Heart of Holladay allows you to put the name of your favorite person on the registration form you want to run St. George. Let's all pick one person and run for him/her. This should be somebody that does not have a chance of getting in as elite this year or winning a qualifying race. I propose we do it for Kim, unless I hear otherwise I am going to put her on my registration form.
Kim Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 03:34:44 pm »

Sasha,
Thank you so much for what you have suggested!  I'm very grateful!  I have a slight chance to earn a spot this Saturday at the Running with angels 5k.  Let me see if there is any chance I can get one there before anyone submits my name.  I will let you know what happens asap.  With this race they had us submit a story of how we have overcome adversities in our lives.  So it isn't to the fastest one or just a random drawing.  I'm hoping that not a lot of people put a story in.  If I can't get it this Saturday I would love to have another chance if possible and any help I could get would be greatly appreciated!  I can't believe how it brought me down to not get in on the lottery.  I want to run SGM this year!   Thanks again for your idea.  I will keep you posted.  Kim
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 05:37:32 pm »

Sasha thanks so much for proposing this for Kim, of course I think it's a super idea! Thanks to everyone on the blog for all the continued support!

Also I wanted to mention that as of today I'm supposedly back IN the race. I sent another email last night explaining the whole thing again and they came back today and said I was in (although I still don't show up on the list yet). I know I've bad-mouthed the SGM race folks a bit but I have to say all my dealings with Carlene have been great. She has been a pleasure to talk to and work with and has always gone out of her way to be helpful.

Of course if Kim doesn't get in it will be a little bittersweet for me so I really hope we can get her in either this Saturday or in June at the Holladay race! Go KIM! Thanks again everyone!
James Winzenz

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 06:41:19 pm »

Ooh, I hope that you both get in!  Keep us posted, Tom - we will be hoping to see both of you there in St. George to run!
Brent Barney
Lurker

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 07:02:21 pm »

Kim Lee, both me and Sylvie will put your name on the Heart of Holiday, good luck. 
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2008, 10:37:50 am »

Yes, the Grand Slam is still open. I have vacation scheduled and will be gone August 23rd, so I'm out. Maybe I can try for a July 4th win at one of those races that gives away an entry...
Kim Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2008, 09:39:53 pm »

I tried to win a guaranteed spot for the SGM today at the Running with Angels 5K.  Well, it didn't work out in my favor.  There is one less person out there trying to get into the marathon now, it's just not me.  I am really liking Sasha's idea about the Heart of Holladay 5K.  If any of you are planning on running it and don't have someone else to run for I would definitely love to have you submit my name as the St. George Hopeful on your registration form.  You have to be pre registered in order to put a name on.  If you have already registered you can call in and have them put a name on.  (My lovely friends, Brent and Sylvie, have already done that!  Thank you B & S!)  Thank you everyone!  And especially Sasha for the great idea!  It feels really good to have such great support!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: