Fast Running Blog
March 28, 2024, 07:03:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pace Groups for St. George  (Read 14954 times)
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 04:05:39 pm »

Yes, I would agree with you. Go for it.
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 04:10:39 pm »

The only steep climb really is Veyo - what is that - 1/4 to 1/2 mile?  The rest is gentle uphill with some flat portions, IIRC.  Clyde or one of the other locals could give us a better idea, but I remember in 2004 thinking that Veyo was not that bad.  Especially when a month before that I had run a 1/2 with a 2-mile nasty uphill the entire way.  I agree with Chad too - go for it Kory.  That seems to be Sasha's advice to me as well - even if I don't hit 3:10, shoot for it and if I bonk, I bonk.  I will have given it my all.
Ted Leblow
Posting Member

"Don't give up...don't ever give up." - Jimmy V.

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 08:55:38 pm »

I know all in this group are capable looking at their training. Are there any others? Let us know if everyone wants to plan to run together with this goal. I am thinking 1:17 first half but definetley between 1:16-1:18.

Ted, what's your finishing time goal?

Well, that is a good question. I guess I am not 100% sure. Sasha has been telling me to shoot for 2:30, which I would love to run but am just not sure I'm there right now. So I guess I have multiple goals as follows:

1. Under 2:40 but hopefully closer to 2:35 even if the wheels come off.
2. Be in a position to go after a low 2:30s time at the half and see how things turn out. Without much course knowledge I am thinking a 1:16 at half would put me in position for the 2:30 mark if all is going well and even hitting 1:17-18 would put me in a good position to still be sub 2:35. I am not sure so this is mostly going with what others have told me.

So I guess I am going with the Kory approach of I will not know unless I try. Sasha keeps saying 1:16 at half should be the plan so I guess that is what I need to go for. If the group wants to split in two that is fine but I do think the guys listed are all within reach of at least a 2:35 and on a good day even faster. Cody, you can run faster than you think! I also really think that the pack running has the potential to be a big performance booster. For me at least it allows me to stay relaxed for a much longer period of time and I think it helps with efficiency as well. We can set something up where we lead quarters, 1/2, miles or whatever but it does seem to break it up nicely.

I guess we can make final plans at the pasta party. I think Kory, Jtshad, Chad, James and I are willing to give it a go. Right? I also think Bill and Chris R. will jump in. So who else? Dustin, Cody, S. Browing? Heck if everyone joins in we have a pack of ten and that does not include any others that just jump in with us at the start.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 09:05:33 pm by Ted Leblow » Logged
Cody Draper
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 09:15:39 pm »

Cody, you can run faster than you think! I also really think that the pack running has the potential to be a big performance booster. For me at least it allows me to stay relaxed for a much longer period of time and I think it helps with efficiency as well. We can set something up where we lead quarters, 1/2, miles or whatever but it does seem to break it up nicely.

I guess we can make final plans at the pasta party. I think Kory, Jtshad, Chad, James and I are willing to give it a go. Right? I also think Bill and Chris R. will jump in. So who else? Dustin, Cody, S. Browing? Heck if everyone joins in we have a pack of ten and that does not include any others that just jump in with us at the start.

I have yet to back down to a challenge, so I am in.  I think I can hang in there for most of the race and if I have a good day and there is some good race day magic, hang with you guys until the end.  Who knows until you try...  That will be quite the group!  I am getting excited.   
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 09:24:42 pm »

I'm in even though I'm probably one of the slower guys in the pace group, who knows could happen.  I also think Steve Hooper will join us, Bill Campbell is probably a 2:50-2:55 guy, and Steve Olsen would probably be closer to Dave Holt than our group.  That is just my take on some of the St. George guys.  We've done some pretty good 20 milers the last few weeks on the course and Veyo hill isn't that bad, it is true you have a few miles of gradual, rolling hills once you get on top, but really not that bad.

I think James Winzenz was asking earlier today about the Clif pacers, I ran my first marathon ever in St. George in 2004 and I ran with the 3:10 pace team.  It turned out to be a great experience, the pacer was right on or under each mile, kept us motivated and reminded us about staying hydrated and getting gels all that stuff I had no clue about as a first timer.  Anyway, at mile 22 I thanked him for his time and pushed it home to a 3:07, everybody that started out with the pacer got a Boston qualifier.  So I would just say go for it!
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007, 11:28:58 pm »

I know all in this group are capable looking at their training. Are there any others? Let us know if everyone wants to plan to run together with this goal. I am thinking 1:17 first half but definetley between 1:16-1:18.

Ted, what's your finishing time goal?

Well, that is a good question. I guess I am not 100% sure. Sasha has been telling me to shoot for 2:30, which I would love to run but am just not sure I'm there right now. So I guess I have multiple goals as follows:

1. Under 2:40 but hopefully closer to 2:35 even if the wheels come off.
2. Be in a position to go after a low 2:30s time at the half and see how things turn out. Without much course knowledge I am thinking a 1:16 at half would put me in position for the 2:30 mark if all is going well and even hitting 1:17-18 would put me in a good position to still be sub 2:35. I am not sure so this is mostly going with what others have told me.

So I guess I am going with the Kory approach of I will not know unless I try. Sasha keeps saying 1:16 at half should be the plan so I guess that is what I need to go for. If the group wants to split in two that is fine but I do think the guys listed are all within reach of at least a 2:35 and on a good day even faster. Cody, you can run faster than you think! I also really think that the pack running has the potential to be a big performance booster. For me at least it allows me to stay relaxed for a much longer period of time and I think it helps with efficiency as well. We can set something up where we lead quarters, 1/2, miles or whatever but it does seem to break it up nicely.

I will give it a try and see what I can do.   I think it can only strengthen you if you just try to push yourself.  I know running my third marathon in 5 weeks is a concern for my performance, but running in a pace group will boost the performance.  Like Cody said I'll try to hang on.  If you don't try then you'll kick yourself if your conservative and do well.  I think Ted and Jeff  could really knock-out a good time.
Dave Holt
Lurker

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 07:32:05 am »

Everyone always misreads the SGM course and thinks Veyo is the key.  Veyo is a tough hill, but it is the next 3+ through Dameron that are the key hill miles.  This section is where your body will be tested - can it recover quick enough from the dramatic volcano to roll back into race pace for the next section.  After topping out at Dameron (which seems to happen three or four times because of the rolling nature of the terrain) it's all downhill, literally!
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 07:47:05 am »

I may be in no-man's land (or no-woman's land), but I will be pacing for about 3:07 if I am running on my own, but if there is a pack just trying to break 3 hours or 3:05ish I would like to join them.  I would hate to run alone, but I am not sure there is anyone around me.
James Winzenz

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 08:39:48 am »

I agree Dave, that is the point I was trying to make.  Veyo is not that long of a hill, you get past it pretty quickly.  The hill at the White Mtn. 1/2 marathon (if you ever want a really good challenge, try it out!) was much tougher than Veyo.  Brent and I (we conferred on our blogs) are both going to shoot for 1:35 for the 1/2 and see where it gets us to the end.  If we are feeling really good, we will keep up the pace.  Otherwise we will ease up a bit the second 1/2.
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 08:57:23 am »

I'm with Michelle, caught in the middle of the pace groups.  I'm planning on coming in just under 3 hours.  Probably will run 6:45's for the first 7 miles, run 7:20's for miles 8 and 9 (Veyo), 7:05-7:10 through Dameron Valley then drop down to 6:40-6:50 starting at mile 13 through the end.  I've never run with a group before but imagine there are a lot of people with a sub-3 goal.
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 10:02:13 am »

Andy look to hook up with William Campbell (wildbull) on the blog he should be right around 3 hours or better.
jtshad

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 01:16:45 pm »

Ted, I am looking forward to running with this group.  I have a friend from here in SE Idaho who would probably run with us (Brett Hill, former steeplechaser at USU and a good runner). 

I also know a couple of guys coming down from Boise who would be in the 2:50 range (John Jackson is one, ran a 2:47 last year).

Look forward to hooking up at the pre-race bash to set the groups up and get psyched for the race!
Sirenesque
Lurker

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2007, 02:05:29 pm »

I am in, and I think Ted is right, everyone mentioned is capable of running in this group.  I understand some of the concern about hanging on if the pace looks a little fast, but it is a race and all of us should be willing to hang it on the line.  There is no better feeling than letting it all go, whether you hit the times or not, it is about knowing I could not have gone any harder!!   I look forward to running with everyone, some of you I have not met yet, this should be a lot of fun!!
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 04:16:04 pm »

Michelle:

No woman's land may be good if there are not any ahead of you, or close behind. Guys prefer to be in no woman's land for sure. I think we just have come up with a term that means the opposite of getting chicked - run in no woman's land.

I think you should go with Andy and Wildbull (Bill Campbell), at least give it a try and see if the pace feels too hard or not. If you can get behind them and run relaxed, stay there regardless of what pace they are going.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: