Fast Running Blog
April 19, 2024, 05:27:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Northwest Passage Relay recruiting  (Read 33165 times)
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« on: March 10, 2008, 10:01:17 am »

I am getting a 12-person team together for the Northwest Passage Relay (July 25-26, north of Seattle). I aim this to be a "moderately competitive" team, and am looking for runners that can hold sub-7 minute pace for the whole thing. So we will place quite high, but not quite the level and intensity of the Del Sol and Wasatch Back teams. I'm cool with a mixed team, so women don't be shy in requesting a spot. As far as timing, the race is the day after Deseret News Marathon/10K, so that will probably eliminate some people.

Oh, one other thing to mention: our registration is free, so the only expenses to worry about are transportation and food.

For more info on the relay, see:
http://www.ragnarrelay.com/northwestpassage/index.php

I'll update our runner list as I get replies. If you already talked to me about it, and aren't on the list, it just means that I forgot, so go ahead and post.

1. Me
2. David N.
3. Cody D.
4. Jon A. (tentative)
5. Dale M.
6. Ben D.
7. James B.
8. Craig G.
9. Andy B.
10. Aaron S.
Alt1.
Alt2.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 01:54:34 pm by Paul Petersen » Logged
Logan Fielding
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:10:44 am »

I am out Paul.  Katey and I are heading to Lake Powell during that time.  Sorry. 
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 10:48:13 am »

Paul- put me in as a tentative slot.  If you get lots of interest soon, I will have to decide for sure then.
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 03:56:41 pm »

Paul - I'd love to be considered.  Not sure about holding a sub-7 pace for the *entire* 189 miles, but I figure I probably can for three legs at least  Smiley.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 04:16:38 pm »

Not sure about holding a sub-7 pace for the *entire* 189 miles, but I figure I probably can for three legs at least  Smiley.

Heh. Yeah.

Love to have you aboard.
James Barnes
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 10:07:36 pm »

Throw me on the very likely to run list.  I am surprised you hadn't already put me on!
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 10:22:41 am »

Paul- I'm in. I wanted to do this one ever since Dominique told me about it last year. Runners Corner sent a team out there last year and won it, so maybe we could challenge them for it this year?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 10:32:35 am »

Craig, James - sounds good!

We could potentially challenge for the win, depending on how many people run Des News the day before. Not sure if Runner's Corner is doing it again this year, but there is always a few teams there willing to go for it.
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 10:51:57 am »

Based on last year's results looks like the winners had a 6:43/mi average pace.  Thoughts on what we would need to aim for to challenge for a win? 

I need to set that goal early and make sure I'm trained for it....I certainly don't want to be the one that holds us back and *some* unnamed members of the team evidently think us 35+ runners are OLD and prone to breakdowns.  I won't name names but you OTQ runners know who you are!
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 11:08:56 am »

Dale - if you are referring to me, you wrong. I think any runner over 25 years old is prone to breakdowns. :-)

The results last year were skewed, because Runner's Corner took at least an hour worth of wrong turns. From reports I heard, they started by themselves, and got way off course at times. I think they even got lost driving to the start. In reality, they ran much faster than 6:43/mile pace. To be in contention for the win, I think a team would have to average about 6:00/mile. Fortunately, the course is mostly flat or rolling, and is at sea level, so it would be much easier to do this here than at Wasatch Back or even Del Sol.

But like I said earlier, I'm not bent on putting together what Sasha calls a "blood team". I think we can get together a good mix of people and be pretty competitive though. Top 5 for sure, maybe higher if things fall together.
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 11:36:43 am »

Wow, that's quite a set of wrong turns.  6:00/mi is fast for me but hey, I've got 4 months to fix that, right?  I'll just need to get a tune-up for my walker....

The course elevation changes actually look about the same as for Del Sol according to their materials.  9516/9332 gain/loss for Northwest Passage and 8571/9736 for Del Sol if my failing eyes can read the fine print correctly.  Definitely some flat spots, but also definitely some hills to it.  That's okay....I like hills.  Especially down.

Just because we're not a "blood" team doesn't mean I didn't start salivating the minute you posted looking for team members...even more so with the "potentially challenge for the win" post.  It's nice to have an aggressive goal to shoot for.....if we don't win, so be it, but it won't be for lack of trying.

Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 11:53:23 am »

Runner's Corner had an incentive last year because their team was sponsored (as it was the first year of the race). I can find out if that is happening again this year.
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 11:54:28 am »

Dale-

FYI: I will turn 35 on the 2nd day of this race Wink
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 12:10:09 pm »

Excellent!  A built in celebratory event!

I believe I'm still the "old man" so far at a decidedly over the hill 37, but my OEM legs still have < 2 consistent running years on them (not counting the running I did while in the Army), so I think I've still got some youth to burn!
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 02:59:23 pm »

Speaking of the relay...

A new article in the Washington Post about the Washington relay that Ragnar is starting up in Sept:

http://www.readexpress.com/read_freeride/2008/03/spend_a_thrilling_night_on_the_run_ragna.php
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: