Fast Running Blog
July 02, 2024, 01:00:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Utah Valley Marathon  (Read 12198 times)
Hyrum
Lurker

« on: February 22, 2008, 08:52:52 pm »

I think that everyone should come give the Utah Valley Marathon a chance.  It is true that I am the race director, but I am a runner just like all of you.  I know what runners are looking for in a race, and have been speaking with may other race directors like the Harpers among others for suggestions.  Sasha has also given me a lot of great ideas.  You can see many of the details about the race at utahvalleymarathon.com.  The site is a work in progress as this is our first year for the race, but we have picked up some great sponsors and promise to have an incredible event.  If you have any un answered questions you are welcome to email me at:  hyrumoaks@gmail.com
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 09:07:05 pm »

I have to say that I certainly like the price of this marathon...
Hyrum
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 09:20:35 pm »

We are trying to keep it affordable.  We want the sponsors to pay for the race instead of the athletes.  Also no one involved in the event is taking any kind of a wage.  It is entirely volunteer, and all proceeds are going to charity.  Unfortunatly Primary Children's decided not to allow us to donate our proceeds to them.  They have 4 big events a year (like the current radio-athon with KSL), and don't want us to take away from that.  They are worried that the costs of our race will take away from money that would have been 100% theirs if donated directly to them.  I understand their concern and tried to explain that we won't go after their current sponsors, so that it would be all new money for the hospital.  Unfortunately they are worried about their name's image, and so I am going to try to talk to the board of directors to get special permission, but if they still say no we have another charity that is towards children with cancer.  I will update you all on what happens.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 09:38:41 pm »

I think you have a great thing going here.  The only down fall to it this year is I don't think you got the word out soon enough.  Most people have already planned out their spring, summer, and fall schedules.  Stick with it and it will grow:)
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 10:05:23 pm »

I wish I could do it, I would like a shot at that money Smiley  If you'd like to move it to July I would be game!  (You'd move the date just for me, wouldn't you?)
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 07:25:36 am »

Hyrum - Well, live and learn. I never thought that a charity would actually refuse the money from an honorable source (I could understand it if they did not want it from something like gambling, but not from a marathon). I'd say give the money to somebody that really wants it.

For everybody - we needed a marathon in the Utah Valley for a long time, and with all the health-conscious population we have here nobody stepped up to do it up to this point. Hyrum is taking a plunge into deep waters putting on a new marathon, and to make things more difficult this is his first time ever putting on a race. I met him for the first time near the Parley's Canyon exit (around 0.8 into the race) in 2002 during the Deseret News marathon. It was one of those on the run introductions. He has a lot of a ability - he ran St. George in 2:47 at the age of 18. Those of you who are familiar with marathonguide.com will quickly figure out that he is still not much older than that. Let's give him all the support we can in his effort. If we all join, we will have a big Utah Valley marathon in a couple of years with a few thousand people. Let's also give him encouragement in his training. I think he has a sub-2:30 or possibly faster potential if he does what it takes.
James Barnes
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 08:20:28 pm »

I agree with Sasha, Utah Valley has needed a race like this for a long time.  I will give my support in running or volunteering if I am able.
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 09:02:25 am »

I wish it fit my schedule this year - I would rather do it than SLC.  Maybe next year; in fact, I'll do my best to make the track schedule fit so I can do it!  Keep up the great work Hyrum.
Superfly

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 09:51:53 am »

I think I may run this race this year instead of Ogden.
jtshad

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 02:16:45 pm »

Clyde sees the $$ signs!  I may think about this one as well since I most likely won't make SLC.
Superfly

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 05:01:32 pm »

If I won the $$$ would be nice but scheduling is the first issue. However I'm still not positive on either one.
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 05:45:57 pm »

I have a 21 miler scheduled on this day so I think that I am going to run it in preparation for Ogden.  I won't be in marathon shape yet but should be able to run it hard and still have time to recover for Ogden.  I wasn't going to run any marathons this year now I have 2 scheduled in the spring.  What's wrong with me?
MikL
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 09:28:08 pm »

I'm rooting for Clyde to do this one since I can be there to watch (unlike Ogden). The prize money would be nice too (go Clyde!). And Hyrum, I am on the Board for a non-profit org that would be happy to take the proceeds! Smiley
Hyrum
Lurker

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 10:56:13 pm »

You guys are all great for your support.  I think I am running with Sasha in the morning.  I am pretty sure that he spoke a little too soon about me running a sub 2:30.  He will soon see.  On another note yesterday I solved the charity issue.  I spoke with a lot of people and came in contact with Sheryl Rose (BYU head coaches wife).  She is the chairman of "Children With Cancer Christmas Foundation"  The reason I like this charity is because it donates 100% of the money it recieves to families with cancer patients.  They are also all from Utah county, and the majority of them are patients at Primary Children's hospital so in a back door way I can still donate to the same location.  I prefer the patients directly get the money instead of the hospital organization any ways.  Also don't be fooled by the name of the charity...they do more than Christmas.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 11:45:45 pm »

I'm kinda locked in to Ogden this year (too short of notice for UVM).  I'm interested to see what Clyde and anyone else who does it says and will consider it for next year.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: