Fast Running Blog
April 23, 2024, 08:09:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: FRB Summer Running Camp  (Read 36979 times)
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« on: February 09, 2008, 12:57:00 pm »

Steve and I have wanted to try to get some guys together for a little running camp for a while now. So enough talking about it and lets get the ball rolling. Here are the details so far.
1. Location- Torrey, Utah elevation 6,800 ft at base camp. (my family owns a motel there and we could camp on the law or rent rooms at a great deal) wifi internet as well.
Torrey is located only a few miles away from Capital Reef National Park, Boulder Mountain, Thousand Lake Mountain, Calf Creek Falls, and much more. It's one of the most beautiful places on earth.
2. The camp would be free other than food, and a room if you want to rent one. Depending on how many people we get to come we could plan it and do all the food together.
3. Although we would try to schedule around 20-30 miles of running a day... Everyone is welcome regardless of ability. If people show an interest in participating we will put together workouts for and runs for those who may wish to run a little less and play a little more.
4. Bring the whole family. There are 12 rooms in the motel and enough grass to camp a small army. 
5. The date is kind of an open discussion. It would be a week in the summer that best works for the majority. Most likely a time outside of a major race like Wasatch Back, Des News, ect. We are just going to keep this open and look at what works for the people who would like to do it.

The Running

Like I said we would like to do around 20-25 miles per day. Some right in town at an avg. of 7,000 and most in the park, mountains surrounding which could be up to 10,000 and as low as 6,000.
Best case we would get enough to schedule a mildly competitive race on the last day (Saturday morning) maybe like a half or 10 miler or something.
It would be a good mix of running on roads, trails, and dirt roads. So we can plan speed works as well.

The Fun

Games....
Swimming at the pool, Waterfalls and much more!

Anyways this will get the ball rolling and hopefully we can get 10+ people to come. At this point Steve H., Dave H., and Me are in and that's the only people we've talked to. Once again Everyone is welcome.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 12:58:36 pm »

Sounds pretty cool. James and I were talking about something like that last summer. I'll see how it rolls with my calendar.
Superfly

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 01:00:21 pm »

Paul- throw some dates out that work for you. That's what we'll have to do and then just pick one that works for the majority of those interested.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 01:53:07 pm »

uh...week of July 6. No races that I can think of, plus July is rancid.
Superfly

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 03:11:04 pm »

That would be a good week. The bonus of that date is. Torrey holds the worlds biggest small town 4th of July celebration that would be Saturday the 5th for anyone who wanted to show up a couple days early. I'll be up there for that 4th of July weekend.
The week of the 4th might be a good option too if you don't mind spending your holiday in Torrey. There will be a 5 or 10k the same day as all the other festivities. But most likely most people will be elsewhere with family.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 03:47:11 pm »

There are circuit races in SLC and Provo on the 4th that a lot of people will do. However, I could see myself doing the Murray or Provo race, and then keep going south to Torrey right after the race. That could work out well.
Josse

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 04:52:50 pm »

I might be in and I could give little clinics on stretching, self massage, and all the other things I know.  I would just have to convince my husband.  Where is Torrey?
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 05:29:13 pm »

Clyde, that's looking good.  I think I would like to tentatively call three rooms - 1 for my fam. and 2 for the "x-country" camp (1 boys, 1 girls).
Marcie J.
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 09:50:52 pm »

I think that sounds pretty cool. I wouldnt know for sure til dates are finalized. I dont think my husband would come but I would bunk up with some of the other FRB chicks if their families werent coming.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 11:06:41 pm »

Would there be a group of non-runners, as well?  Such as some wives, etc?  This idea intrigues me, but my wife is due in mid-June, so I wouldn't leave her.  Which means that if we come, we will have a 2 year old and a 1 month old with us. 
Superfly

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 07:44:17 am »

Jon- Everyone is welcome. Wives, children, runners from the blog. Dave may even bring his high school team.
Superfly

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 08:15:40 am »

Let's just tentatively say it will be the week of July 6th. It would be nice to do it the week of the 4th but there is just a lot going on for people. So it will be that week. As far as Mon-Sat.... I'm still not sure we will have to see what people can do. But even if someone could only come for like thurs, fri, and sat it would be fun and useful.
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 09:25:48 am »

Sounds like a really cool idea.  If I can work it out, I would love to come.
Josse

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 09:32:37 am »

I would like to know the specs. on the rooms, how much per night for a room, how many beds, is there a kitchen or at least a fridge, how big are they, ect.?  I think the wed or thurs. through sat  is more doable.  But the date (after the 4th) sounds  like a good one.  Oh ya is there a grocery store there? 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 10:34:49 am by Josse » Logged
Superfly

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 12:46:25 pm »

Josse- In answer to your questions. Torrey is a hour southwest of Richfield. Or like 15 min's from Fishlake...
There is a grocery store in Torrey but it doesn't carry everything. There is also on in a town about 10 miles away (Loa) that has most everything you'd expect. The specs of the hotel are: Most rooms are tow beds, there is one with a king bed and a pull out couch, and one that is like an apartment with a mini kitchen and stuff. So you could for the most part do 4 people per room. There is also a regular fridge that would suffice everyones needs in the service room. As far as price on the rooms I'm still not sure. What we'd have to do is make sure how many we wanted, and the dates we wanted them and then go from there. However regular price is $50 a night so it would be cheaper than that, and they are very clean, neat rooms... not 5 star but nice.

To all- To keep things affordable to all my plan would be to have most everyone pitch a tent and we could make a little camp on the grass in front of the motel and then maybe rent a couple rooms to share with everyone to just use the showers a toilets. Of course if your family or group wants a room for the whole time you can do that as well. I'll bring a 15 person tent and air mattress and sleep out there myself.
Also some will want to come for the full week and I'll plan on running it all week for those who want the full experience. But for those who can only pull off the last few days thats cool or even the last day or the first day and the last day... Whatever works for that person. We'll plan on Monday-Saturday like most peoples regular running week and so those who are doing the whole week can push for like a weekly mileage PR. Something like 130-140 mpw (2-3 runs per day) for myself.
Also adding in little instructional mini courses during the day would be fantastic as well.

If everyone gets involved this could really end up being a great time. Torrey is beautiful and if bloggers wanted to plan this as part of their summer vacation with the rest of your family you wouldn't be disappointed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: