Fast Running Blog
April 29, 2024, 12:35:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running 100 Miles by a Diabetic  (Read 2965 times)
Dave Mundorff
Lurker

« on: October 24, 2013, 07:38:40 pm »

I'm looking for another diabetic who might have some ultra tips.  I'm a T2 diabetic and my Sports Medicine doctor wants me to prepare a nutrition and pacing plan before I try a 100-mile ultra.  I have found websites by Allan Bolton, Missy Foy and Marcus Grimm (T1 Diabetics), but they don't share many practical details.  I think the biggest concerns are energy level, cramping, and maintaining low lactic acid levels.  I take Metformin that depletes vitamin B-12 and elevates lactic acid production.  I'm running 50 to 65 miles of training per week.  I'm looking at ramping up over a period of one or two years to reach the 100-mile ultra plateau.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 12:51:15 pm »

Dave:

Is there any particular reason you are not satisfied with running shorter distances? In my opinion, 26 miles is more than sufficient to prove your point even if you are completely healthy. If you are diabetic, is 100 miles that much better than 26 in terms of accomplishment to deal with the exponentially increasing health risks?

Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 08:53:58 pm »

Dave,

First off, I think it's awesome you're going for a 100 miler.  I think you'll find it a wonderful, challenging, and educational experience (Don't worry about Sasha- I don't think he understands us weirdo ultra guys).

I'm not diabetic so can't help at all.  Sorry.  You forgot about Roger Hanney's blog, though (runeatsleeprun.com).  If they don't put many details on their blogs, I would encourage you to write them (email or blog or twitter) to ask specific questions.  I think you'll find that ultramarathoners are very, very happy to give advice to anyone who asks, especially if they share a unique issue like diabetes.  Hope you can work it out!

Jon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: