Fast Running Blog
April 29, 2024, 01:44:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Marathon training program  (Read 3453 times)
Wayne Schlapkohl
Lurker

« on: September 23, 2013, 12:35:15 pm »

Hi,

I just joined this group last week. As I mentioned in my blog, I've jogged for years. I run a relaxed three times a week, One long run, one hills, one a bit faster. Now I want to learn how to run, or run faster. Jogging marathons is starting to get stale. Doing another 4:15 marathon would be, well just one more run. Can you suggest a marathon training program which emphasizes getting faster. Maybe tempo runs, or track work or something. My new goal is to someday qualify for Boston, which means a 3:30 marathon. I've done some short runs at what is probably a 3:40 marathon pace, and as other have commented, that is a totally new way of running. I am doing less heel striking, I am feeling my calves more and my quads a lot less. This will be quite a shift.

Wayne
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 11:13:18 am »

I'm a big fan of Advanced Marthoning by Pfitzinger and Douglas.  The book contains training plans but more imporantly details why each of the different types of runs are important. 
Michael Laputka
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 10:11:23 pm »

Wayne,
Go to the home page and on the left click on the box that says running info.  Read what Sasha wrote about qualifying for Boston.  It's incredibly simple, but it takes a lot of drive.  Since you are coming from a 4:15 marathon, your upside is huge.  You will make the biggest improvements by just simply running more.  It has very little to do with speed and pace, it's all about quantity.  Go from 3 days a week to 4, then 5 then 6.  I wish I would have figured this out a long time ago.  I spent three years trying to get faster by trying this plan and that plan, very little improvement.  The whole time I was messing around with these different plans, one thing remained constant, my weekly mileage.  My mileage week after week, year after year always averaged about 35 miles per weeek for the year.  Double your mileage and that 4:15 will drop quickly.  I can tell by your BQ we are about the same age, my 1st marathon was 4:19 and I'm now preparing for my 2nd Boston.  All I do is run my guts out week in and week out.  No fancy pacing workouts, just run and run long once a week.  Race 5Ks-10Ks and halfs every month or so for your "speedwork".  Like Sasha says, you can't sell a book about running if all you need to know can be put down in just a few paragraphs.  It really is that simple. 
Kam
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 08:41:31 pm »

Another way to use the blog--check the race reports.  Search for any marathon, and look for marathon reports that are in the time window you are seeking.  Then backtrack and see what those runners did in training to lead up to those marathons.  Mike's advice is spot on; additional mileage will make a huge difference.  Bringing down your marathon time will take more volume, not special workouts.  That kind of stuff is helpful up through half marathons, but not so much with the full distance.  Good luck!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: