Fast Running Blog
April 26, 2024, 07:11:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre Marathon Stress???  (Read 5383 times)
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« on: September 21, 2007, 08:39:54 pm »

I think I've officially entered into my pre marathon stressed out phase. Before every marathon I've ever ran it has been the same. Not so much in smaller races because it just seems less "High profile."
Things that are on my mind. Body? Why does every little thing seem to hurt and bother me? Race plan for the day of- should I do this or that?
What are some of the mental battles that you face in the weeks going into a marathon? What are some good ways to ease the mind so you can run the best race you are capable of?
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 12:02:02 am »

Definitely rest helps.  Do a project that you've been putting off for sometime.  Watch movies to take your mind off the marathon.  Your going to think about it, but do something that's going to occupy your time.  I think another good tip that I've learned from others is plan your marathon running strategy early.
Mike Kirk
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 11:12:17 am »

What stress?  Last week I ran in the middle of the road challenging cars.  I get super aggressive before a big race.

I'm glad you have recognized it.  Don't undo your training.  I nearly took myself out of St. G a few years ago by playing Ultimate three days before the race.  I don't think you can improve in the final three weeks except by getting rest and continuing your workouts.  Who cares how your body feels?  You are ready to race.  You have practiced for this race all year.  You know what to do the morning of the race.  I plan on starting a new book this week and staining a couple bookcases.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 11:35:11 am »

When the gun goes off, no matter how many times you've raced, you take a step into the known. All you are expected to do is your best, and that is exactly why it is so intimidating. The pain of doing your honest best is intimidating - you will have to push yourself to your very utmost limit. Facing the possibility that your honest best on race day may not be what you hoped after all the work for is intimidating as well.

One thing that helps me is putting the race in the proper perspective. I learn from Helaman Warriors, of whom Helaman said:

Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death; and they did think more upon the liberty of their fathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them. -- Alma 56:47

I also learn from the words of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego:

If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up. -- Daniel 3:17-18

Those examples teach me how not to fear or worry, but approach the race with faith. I thought I had the words to describe this process, but I just cannot find them. Words are so inadequate to describe faith. One thing I can say is what helps is learning to become a peace with the idea of taking an inspired step into the dark, and letting God pick up from there.

Dave Holt
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 02:16:01 pm »

AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!  I just want it to be here now!
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 08:36:33 pm »

I hear you - I keep getting paranoid about somehow getting injured or sick just before and having to pull out (yet again!).  Thankfully, that has not happened, and I am healthy and injury-free.  I have been trying to visualize myself running my target pace in advance of the marathon so that I can actually get some sleep the night before and not stay up worrying or running the race in my head.
Sirenesque
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 02:11:53 pm »

When the gun goes off, no matter how many times you've raced, you take a step into the known. All you are expected to do is your best, and that is exactly why it is so intimidating. The pain of doing your honest best is intimidating - you will have to push yourself to your very utmost limit. Facing the possibility that your honest best on race day may not be what you hoped after all the work for is intimidating as well.

Well said, we all have anxiety and fear, hope and faith that what we have done is enough! That we are, in fact, strong enough to face our inner most selves...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: