Fast Running Blog
April 28, 2024, 10:20:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running in the Smog  (Read 4694 times)
Matthew Rowley
Vocal Lurker

« on: February 07, 2013, 06:34:11 am »

With all the smoggy day we have been having, I have been wondering.  Does running in the bad air hurt you?  I know running on the treadmill doesn't give you the same workout as running on the road, at what point is it better to run on treadmill than outside?  What have you done to protect yourself from the pollution and still run outside?
Jake Krong
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 09:46:51 am »

If you do a search for some of Alex Hutchinson's articles on this topic, you'll find some good information. I tend to agree with his line of thinking - still exercise outside, but minimize the "damage"... run early in the mornings, and away from high-traffic areas.

I like this quote of his:

Pollution is always bad for you, so whenever you have a choice to pick a less polluted location, route, or time, you should. But that doesn’t mean it’s better to sit around in your apartment rather than working out on polluted days. This is still a very active area of research with no final answers, but there are some interesting studies suggesting that the anti inflammatory effects of exercise actually counter some of the inflammatory effects of pollution.

Obviously people who are susceptible for respiratory problems have a harder time w/ the smog. I don't love it by any means, but for me - I'll take a month of it rather than have to work out indoors.
Rob Murphy
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 10:48:12 am »

Can't we view it as a form of resistance training?
Matthew Rowley
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 07:05:24 am »

Jake that is an interesting article.  This smog makes want to move back to Monticello, a small town in the middle of no where.  Monticello elevation is 7000 feet but I think there was more good air than I have been breathing the last few weeks.  Rob I don't know if we can view it as resistance training, but I think it turns some workouts into an anaerobic workouts.
Kam
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 03:42:09 pm »

The air we have been "enjoying" in Salt Lake Valley for most of the winter is the equivalent of being a 2-pack a day smoker.  So if you are exerting yourself in said air, you are most assuredly doing additional damage to your health.  If you want a real scare, do some reading at http://www.uphe.org/

The problem is, air quality inside isn't necessarily any better.  Maybe I'll join you in Monticello.
Kam
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 03:48:51 pm »

Here is one particularly disturbing excerpt:

Recent statistics from the Utah Dept of Health shows that in North Salt Lake and Woods cross-16.2% of children less than 17 years old have asthma. This is in contrast to the normal prevalence of 5%. Common sense would seem to point to the nearby oil refineries and I-15. Studies have shown an association between air pollution and increased premature births, low birth weight, and infant mortality.
Jake Krong
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 04:32:01 pm »

Well, if damage to health is being done no matter what, ya might as well do some damage on the roads as well  Wink
Wieser
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 11:33:13 am »

Running is always good; no matter what as it increases transport of the ciliae in the airways and leads to a better clearance of smog products in the lungs;
I live in Atlanta; Atlanta is called the asthma capital in the world because of its combination of pollen and bad air;
i realize that running helps in clearing the airways and decreases airway symptoms such as asthma;
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: