Fast Running Blog
April 28, 2024, 07:49:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paul Ryan's marathon record  (Read 3863 times)
dave rockness
Posting Member

« on: September 12, 2012, 03:29:16 pm »

any thoughts on Paul Ryan's goof up on reporting his history of marathon running?  how significant is it to his character assessment?  hey, hate to mix politics with running, yet I'm very curious to how others are processing this. 
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 04:06:13 pm »

I'm not sure which is worse: lying about your marathon time or not knowing your marathon time. Either way, he obviously has poor character, and has likely lost the "gaunt" vote across America.
Jake Krong
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 12:56:07 pm »

The Letsrun interview w/ the guy who "discovered" the lie is worth a read -

http://www.letsrun.com/2012/bill-walker-0912.php
Rob Murphy
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 01:06:30 pm »

Turns out his actual PR is slower than Sarah Palins'.

Ryan is apparently a huge P90X or whatever it's called when you confuse your muscles.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 04:37:20 pm »

"Ryan is apparently a huge P90X or whatever it's called when you confuse your muscles."

Thanks Rob, you owe me a new keyboard as I spit water all over my current one when I read your post!

I am with Paul, not knowing your PR versus lying about it, both are bad (especially when you are a self-described "serious runner").
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 12:51:47 pm »

Some runners, even the ones who run a lot, do not care about times as much as we do. I asked a former Marine who used to run a lot in the 70s what his best marathon time was, he said 1:54. Obviously he did not remember it right. But he did remember finishing in the top 3 in some race.

There is little political gain in lying about your marathon time anyway. Most people have no clue and do not care. But some do, and they will check your claim to create an embarrassing story. My take is that he was like that 1:54 Marine.

I think we forget a lot of things. Some of them are more important than running times.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: