Fast Running Blog
April 27, 2024, 08:09:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekly mileage vs strength for a 100 mile  (Read 2640 times)
Seth
Lurker

« on: March 25, 2012, 01:59:09 pm »

I've been thinking about trying the Wasatch 100 lately and am hoping to get some insight for suggested training.  I'm thinking I don't need the same cardio as a road marathon because the pace will be much slower so should concentrate on shorter runs with more vert and substitute some mileage for more leg exercises such as squats and lunges.  I figured every other week I'd go for a long run/hike with lots of vertical feet and really just focus on duration.

i think I'm already decently prepared for this distance because I've built pretty big quads over the years from hiking the backcountry and mountain biking and I've lived in the mountains for 10+ years so am used to the harsh weather conditions that could arise during the race. 

Any feedback/advice is appreciated, thanks!
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 07:57:15 pm »

Seth,

Instead of worrying about road equivalent distance, just track time.  You are right that time on your feet, vertical, and long run duration will be key.  I can't speak to weight lifting, but it can't hurt.  Pound your legs on the downhills- run some hard till you are sore.  Ride a ski lift up, run down, etc.  Definitely do some hilly races. 

Nothing will help as much as lots of hilly miles.  And practice fueling on the go.  Some 50k and 50 milers would be great, too.

Good luck.
Seth
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 08:05:21 pm »

Cool I hadn't really considered the downhill pounding.  Thanks for the advice!
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 05:09:55 am »

Uphill is necessary- esp. practice hiking fast uphill.  But having your quads give out due to downhill and having to slowly walk all downhills (or walk them backwards) will more likely cause you problems.  Train for the downhills as much as you can- beat your quads up so they can take anything.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: