Fast Running Blog
March 29, 2024, 12:37:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pros/cons of patella knee strap  (Read 7070 times)
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« on: October 03, 2011, 07:43:24 pm »

Hi All,
So I have been having some mild knee soreness, not consistent.  Sometimes sore when walking around.  Sometimes sore at the beginning of a run.  The pain/soreness tends to be around the knee, not on or in the cap, though there has been some occasional niggliness there too.  When I get assisted stretching at my sports massage place there's popping (not loud but pretty consistent) when doing rotating exercises, and he says that my knees are wearing out and suggests using patella straps on both legs.
Being a natural cynic (it's a talent, I am good at it), I am concerned about these straps doing more harm than good.  Any experience with them?  If i do use them, I was thinking to only use on easy runs.  Input please Cheesy
Michelle
Jake Toms
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 04:14:05 am »

Hi Michelle L, enjoy your race reports always & your battles with your nemesis. I've tried one of those knee straps but the kind I used was an over/under kind with the knee exposed and I didn't like it at all. I thought it was a waste of 25$ and I eventually lost it.
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 07:41:25 pm »

No way, wouldn't touch them. Try one leg squats, balance assisted at first.  Try to keep knee back and prevent drifting to far ahead of toes on way down, hence balance assist.  Two sets each leg, alternating sets, and reps until you feel muscle burn.  Do everyday for 2 weeks, then every other day.  Weight can be added then.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: