Fast Running Blog
April 27, 2024, 07:18:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: St. George Marathon 2011  (Read 9916 times)
Russ Hall
Lurker

« on: September 14, 2011, 10:24:17 am »

I'm running St. George this year and I'm starting to sleep really poorly in anticipation. Can't wait. I'd love to meet other FRBers in person. Is the best spot the Expo dinner on Friday night? Pizza Factory? Let me know - I'll be there. Only 18 days away!
Matthew Rowley
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 05:23:38 pm »

I am also can't wait for SGM.  As for places to meet I don't know of any.  Most likely I will be eating a my moms house. 

So What are people goals, so we can set up some pace groups.  Or just find people with same goals.  My goal is to run a 2:59 marathon.   
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 08:43:04 pm »

I think it would be great fun to get a lot of bloggers all in one place.  It's a big trip for me and probably one of my few opportunities to meet any of my blogging friends face to face.  I know people generally have their own thing going on about eating the night before.  Maybe something could be arrange in the afternoon near the expo before people retire to their evening pre-race rituals?  As for goal time, I am with you Mattrow--2:59:59 or under is what I am going to attempt.  I know JulieC from the blog is also going for a sub-3 and I believe several others--it would be nice to get a group together that is all fighting for the sub-3, then we may end up in good company to fight out the last 10K when it starts to hurt.
Matthew Rowley
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 11:18:05 pm »

April
I am so glad there will be a number of people trying for 2:59.  I won't allow my self to even put a, sum number above two, when I am talking about what my goal is.  When I tried two years ago the spot we need the pace group is the early miles to make sure we don't go out to fast, to work together up Veyo hill.  Going up Veyo is were I got dropped two years ago.  Evening at the Expo sounds like a great idea.
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 09:51:42 am »

What are you thinking...maybe 3:00 or 4:00 pm at the Expo somewhere?  This gives everyone plenty of time to meet and chat before dinner and bed, and maybe get some pace groups organized.  I definitely want to run with people who have experience on this course.
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 09:31:15 pm »

What are you guys who are going for 2:59 thinking you will do the first half in?
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 01:57:39 pm »

Psychologically I would feel better if I could get through the first half feeling decent in 1:29 to 1:30
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 06:32:01 pm »

I'm not sure if I'm ready to jump in that group. I'll have to think about it.

I think most people run best with negative splits on that course, so with adequate conditioning, that would be about right, I bet.
Rachelle
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 11:07:56 am »

Is anyone going for 3:18-3:20 time at SGM?  I would love to have someone to pace with.  I am getting excited!!!
MarkP_
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 11:15:21 am »

There are four of us planning a 6:30/mile pace for as long as we can if anyone is interested.
Ben Kroff
Lurker

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 10:12:30 pm »

Matt, I would love to meet up with you, and any others at the expo. I am shooting for sub-three also. Actually, we probably crossed the finish line right next to each other in SG '09. You ran a 3:01:45 and I ran a 3:02 and change! I ran the Bryce Half this year at a 1:23, and it looks like you posted that your fastest half was about the same. Sounds like we share a pretty similar story. I think April has a good idea, 4:00 sounds like a good time to me to meet at the expo. Where should we gather this group of sub-three hopefuls?
Matthew Rowley
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 09:13:21 am »

It sounds like there is a good number of runner trying to run 2:59.  I hope all of use are able to do it.  When the thread started I figured I would get to St George, thursday night if not friday by 1:00pm; however, things have changed.  I have started a new Job in the last week and will not beable to leave provo until after 1:00pm.  I will not be able to get to the expo until 5:30 or 6:00.  April, Ben, Steve and others I hope we will be able to meet sometime but I understand 5:30 or 6:00 are not good times.  As for first half I think April is correct that 1:29 to 1:30 first half is what we should be shotting for. 
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 12:54:21 pm »

I'm also not sure how early I will get to the expo. How about we plan both a time to meet at the expo (4 pm?) for those who plan to meet there and some way of finding each other at the starting line?
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 09:05:36 pm »

Surely Saint George Running Center has a booth at the expo, so maybe hang out around there?  I also thought maybe if we wrote "FRB" on our shoulder or calf somewhere at the starting line to help ID each other?  I'm not opposed to going around asking strangers if they are bloggers.
Ben Kroff
Lurker

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 10:57:54 pm »

Steve and April, I will plan to be at the St. George Running Center booth (assuming they have one, which they probably will) @ 4. If you look like your pictures on your running blogs, I should be able to recognize you. I still look like the picture on my blog. Matt, sorry we will miss you (or at least I will) maybe we will catch up in the Elite Corral? My bib is 233. I would meet later, but I have a family dinner starting at 5:30. Drive safe everyone!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: