Fast Running Blog
June 03, 2024, 01:59:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'll be invading Utah in three weeks  (Read 4305 times)
Jeff Necessary
Lurker

« on: August 24, 2011, 12:43:41 pm »

So to speak. I'm taking one last crack at requalifying for Boston 2012, and the race that best fit both my schedule and the BAA's timetable was Top of Utah in Logan. So I'll be in Logan on September 17. It's not my first visit to Utah (attended a conference in SLC a few years back), but it's my first race there.

I figure quite a few of the FRB regulars probably have run TOU, so if you could pass along any pearls of wisdom about the course, tactics, getting around Logan or anything else pertinent, I'd appreciate it.
Joe Furse
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 01:05:15 pm »

The course is fast until about mile 18 or 19, so don't burn yourself all up in the first 18 miles.  Relax, and enjoy the scenery down the canyon, because it's really a beautiful course.  You'll love it.  The last 7-8 miles are a mix of flat and small rolling hills, with a little bit of tiresome running up and down in the city streets, but it isn't bad if you've anticipated it.  That section or part of it can be a nice shakeout run the night before.

Logan is pretty easy to navigate for the most part.  If you can find Center St. and Main you'll be able to find the bus loading zone/finish line which is on Center about 3 blocks east.  Pretty typical Utah cartesian grid system.

Good places for night-before-the-race meals (if you like Italian, which is what I like):  Firehouse Pizzeria (their baked pastas are money!), Gia's, and The Factory Pizzeria (basement of Gia's).  Center Street Grill is also pretty good, and not Italian. 

Best of luck to you!  You might see me on the course, as I have some pacing duties and I'll be cheering everyone on.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:23:16 pm »

Jeff- enjoy the beautiful foliage and watch out for moose!

Like Joe said, the canyon is great.  Some people don't like the city portion, but I loved it since it ran by my house.  I would drive that portion, at least, or run it, so you know what to expect.  And go out easy, esp. the first 10k.  But good luck and enjoy the tailwind.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 09:41:07 am »

watch out for moose!

but also, follow the moose! (the fluorescent orange ones painted on the road anyway).

i don't know if you are traveling with family/friends, but if so, this race can be fun for spectators. they can block hop along 200 south and see the runners at three different places in the final 2 miles of the race -- main street, 100 east and the finish line. they should have plenty of time to get to all three spots on foot.

i will also echo what joe and jon said, in that the portion that winds through the neighborhoods and city streets really isn't bad if you are prepared for it (embrace the winding...). you can also feed off the energy from the crowd in this section (small, but very supportive). TOU is a great race. good luck and have fun.

Jeff Necessary
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 11:44:44 am »

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, traveling solo this time. I've seen several references to a tailwind; is there a prevailing wind blowing down the canyon? Everybody talked about the tailwind in Boston last April (pushing the winner to a 2:03), but I sure didn't feel very much tailwind in the middle of wave two.

Also, what kind of weather can I expect on the 17th? Sounds like it might be chilly at the start but considerably warmer in the valley (I like the chilly part just fine).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:52:11 am by Jeff Necessary » Logged
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 06:09:27 pm »

typically the weather is quite nice for this race. it will be cold at the start because of the elevation and the time of year. expect 35-40 degrees. you may want to plan on a throw-away hat and gloves for the start, but it usually warms up quite nicely. the past couple of years it has been sunny and warm (maybe 60?) by the finish. however, be prepared for anything. in 2006 there was snow at the start, but that was a very early season freak storm. in 2008 it rained a bit, but it wasn't cold. all the other years i have done it it's been clear and sunny -- blue skies and lovely fall colors.

the tailwind can be pretty significant; it just depends on the day. you'll feel it just before you exit the canyon -- miles 12-13.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 08:38:14 pm »

Yeah, if you have the tailwind, it won't be for the whole race (usually).  Just near the mouth of the canyon, like Allie said.  But if you have it, it's real strong.  On the bus ride to the start, look out the window at the trees at the mouth of the canyon to know if you will feel it that day.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 06:36:20 am »

It's possible to have the tailwind for the first 9 miles of the race or so, although it will be the famous gusty tailwind for only about 2-4 miles of that, depending. If it's a good day, it will almost knock you over, and is more comparable to playing a video game than to actual running. Nintendo Power Pad comes to mind.

But there are many days where there is not much of a canyon wind, so it may not be noticeable. And there are even days when it can be a mild headwind. With this weird monsoonal weather we've had this week, I'm not sure what to expect, as it's atypical to late August. Much hotter than usual over here right now, with sporadic thunderstorms. We'll see, but it will be a fun race no matter the weather or wind.
Jeff Necessary
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 03:17:47 pm »

Anybody from the blog 'fessing up to running TOU? I was just scanning the entry list, looking for my bib number to give to friends/family for tracking, and saw Sasha and Paul.
Andrea North
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 04:49:50 pm »

http://fastrunningblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,1648.0.html
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: