Fast Running Blog
March 28, 2024, 06:45:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Best of Moab/Arches/Canyonlands  (Read 7192 times)
Andrea North
Lurker

« on: August 19, 2011, 06:37:18 pm »

My parents are coming out in a month, and we are heading to the Moab area. After lots of research, I am having a lot of trouble narrowing down which hikes and bike rides are "must-do". I thought I would get opinions from some local Utahns - what are the best of the best? I'm looking for hikes under 10 miles and easy but fun mountain biking rides. Any input would be great!
Colby
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 08:58:30 am »

Slick Rock is great! Long, but a blast.
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 01:31:47 pm »

I've been out riding and running on many trails around Moab and the one that totally blew my mind was The Whole Enchilada. http://vimeo.com/2955619  It's simply amazing! A longer bike ride that starts with a  shuttle ride from a local bike shop up to the top of the La Sal mountains behind Moab. The ride covers alpine single track through the aspen and then into the foothills with tall oak brush and finally drops into the desert slickrock. If your a decent rider there is no other option but to ride The Whole Enchilada. I've been to Moab about 6 times and love the traditional "trendy" Slickrock trail above town for a quick ride. And for that matter all the rides are fun. The Enchilada just will blow your mind every mile of the ride. So like 30 mind bombs. Oh and it's like 95% downhill so not too killer on the legs.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 01:48:47 pm »

The practice loop at Slickrock is fun and challenging and just a shorter ride to get a taste of slickrock.  Porcupine Rim is a good ride, mostly downhill and not too challenging with some awesome views!

I wouldn't recommend Poison Spider Mesa...a rocky Jeep trail to the top, then some fun flats but the Portal Trail would be a bit intimidating. 

To just have some fun riding on "slickrock" with not trail or pathway to follow, head to Bartlett's wash for some fun!

Gemini Bridges is cool to see, but it is a long, hot ride.  Also, riding up on the White Rim Trail is very picturesque and not too hard of a ride (just do a out and back, we actually came at it from the backside from the Potash Road to the Shafer Trail section). 

Have fun!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: