Fast Running Blog
April 20, 2024, 01:32:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Racing flats' suggestions for longer races  (Read 12206 times)
Matthew Rowley
Vocal Lurker

« on: June 08, 2011, 01:45:00 pm »

I have be debating on getting a pair of 'racing flats' that I could use for the half marathon and marathon.  I train in Asics 21?? and Brook Adrenaline and Saucony Omni's.  I use a Stability shoe, so the flat would have to have some support.  Any Suggestions.   Yes I am planning on running the Utah valley marathon June 11 and no I am not planning buying a shoe and using it for that race.  This is for other races.
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 02:59:27 pm »

Yes I am planning on running the Utah valley marathon June 11 and no I am not planning buying a shoe and using it for that race.  This is for other races.
Glad you brought that up!  I always chuckle and feel bad at the same time for those that make this horrible error - as far as the shoes... I loved the Asics Ohana (now discontinued), but they replaced it with the Bandito which was more of a stability racer - which by your shoe choice shows that you are.  (However, I just realized, I don't know if it is still around.)
Matthew Rowley
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 03:48:28 pm »

Sure recommend a shoe that are not arround  Cheesy
Chad Robinson
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 04:54:46 pm »

Apparently the Asics Gel DS is the update of the Bandito.  You can get them for $75 at runningwarehouse.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 07:58:21 pm »

you may also want to look into the asics gel tarther or brooks racer ST (cool colors -- that's what it's all about Smiley)
Matthew Rowley
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 09:59:27 am »

I will have to look a few of these options.   Allie I always thought buying racing flats were about running fast.  I am glad you set me strait  Grin.
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 12:58:51 pm »

Sure recommend a shoe that are not arround  Cheesy
Yup, I am always pretty helpful like that!
Joe Furse
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 10:37:37 pm »

I also train in Brooks Adrenaline, and I race in a pair of Saucony A2's which I love to death.  I don't know if you can still find that model, and I think that the subsequent models have gone more minimalist (A3, A4), but if you can find a pair they are really good.  My favorite feature:  "Kiss This!" molded into the heel of the outsole.  Smiley
Colby
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 10:52:48 pm »

Laugh at me if you will, but this might be the first post with the word "Reebok" in it, but I just bought a pair of their Realflex. The jury is still out since I haven't done much with them, but from what I can tell so far, they are great! I can't believe I just said that will a Reebok shoe....
Anyway, I think these are pretty legit as a running shoe...they are definitely more of a racing/minimalist shoe. I'll let you know through my blog or in this forum.
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 09:12:16 pm »

I liked the NB 905s (lightweight trainer) but I understand they're being replaced by the NB 1190s.  They have some medial support but are lighter than most stability shoes.  I'd train in a lightweight trainer for a while before jumping into a racing flat from a stability shoe.
Matthew Rowley
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 08:02:38 am »

Dale, I have been a little worried about going from training in a stability shoe to a racing flat.  I have been debating using a lightweight trainer as a racing flat.  That way I could wear them on some of my long runs to make sure I don't have any blisters I saw other people have after the utah valley marathon.  I am also not the smallest runner.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: