Fast Running Blog
April 27, 2024, 04:48:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: How many runners are on the "Blog".  (Read 11053 times)
Adam R Wende
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 09:24:40 pm »

I would say I hit the sweet spot, 2008 with the race team and the Ragnar relays. It took Chad nearly a year to convince me to join and I would never look back. I do miss that original closeness that was probably already being diluted when I joined but find value in what still goes on here. Between what Paul mentioned about being more "mature" and the fact that the more competitive you get the more apt for an injury and down time I would say I'm surprised how many of the original founders are still around. I would also say that the dynamics have just changed. More subgroups. NPR had an interesting conversation about the size of social groups and said that 150 individuals is routinely the cap for a number of groups around the globe (this includes those that predate the internet). I would say the blog has far surpassed that and since about twice that number blog weekly it would be hard to keep in touch with all of them and still have time for a run Smiley
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 05:43:40 pm »

There are other running logs on the Internet that have better technical features than this one, but I haven't been able to let this one go for two reasons: 1) I look forward to getting comments from people I know and seeing how they are doing, and 2) it's more of a local group (though others of course are welcome). If I didn't know that someone else paid (at least a little) attention to my running, I would have an easier time stopping.
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 10:59:19 pm »

Member since Feb 17, 2005 and still blogging everyday, though my comments and time spent following other runners has dropped off over the years.  However, I am still grateful for the friendships I've developed with people from the blog.  The real value of the blog for me, has been the ability to track my training over the years.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 06:48:30 pm »

Part of the problem is that I have not been dedicating as much time to the blog, both development and helping runners as I used to. A few reasons. One is that with seven children instead of five, and working for somebody vs owning my own business leaves less time. With my son Benjamin developing into a serious chess player( number two  in 6th grade in Utah) I also got more serious about chess myself to be a good partner for him. And, I must admit I have been frustrated trying to find runners that really want to improve by browsing the blogs. Many say they do, and possibly believe they do, but when you tell them what they need to do they do not even try. After the influx of more casual runners around 2008 the probability of finding a runner that would appreciate and follow advice got decreased. Given the constraints, now I wait for the runner to make himself visible in some way before I will comment rather than proactively finding people that need help.
Dan
Lurker

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 09:38:41 am »

Sasha- I am one of the guys who joined just over a year ago and although you were not examining my training I learned tons just by reading old posts, reading about Paul's 'Big Workouts', about getting that aerobic base so you still have been a big part of my improvement. As far as you not being involved due to a family increase- well family comes before the blog! We all know and respect that. Now if you are itching to comment/give advice- I am more than willing and would love to listen to what you have to say Smiley One thing to consider why people may not take advice is a timing commitment. I see how busy people are on here and with God/Spouses/Kids/Church/Work- Running is something that I for one have to make time for, whether it is waking up hours before dawn and then running again after work- and I do that for many reasons- the biggest is because I enjoy it- however I can see why people may not take advice if they just cannot make the time (or worse, it forces them stop liking to run).
Thanks for the blog!
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 08:15:58 pm »

You can give me advice Sasha!  I am all ears.  I am solidly back from stress fractures, have built mileage again(carefully), and am trying to train for the hills of Saint George on a treadmill at 1000 feet above sea level in Kansas.  Shoot.
Rambojr
Lurker

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 03:17:35 pm »

I have been Blogging since May of 2006... This has been a great tool for me mainly because it keeps me motivated and that is half the battle these days. I to have learned alot just from reading the elite runners blogs, and even though I'm not an elite runner I still have the desire to get better and faster and stronger! I do miss the advice of Sasha and others on the blog as well, but that is how life goes sometimes theres just not enough time in the day to do everything! I know everyones pain, 5 kids and no time for me!
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 08:39:55 pm »

I joined July 2007.  I too am guilty of reading friends blogs and not posting comments like I used to, but it kept me connected in Utah and is critical to my sanity now that I have flown the coop.
I have to say that the blog community has been so helpful in so many ways.  By reading other's blogs, I feel like I have the experience of 20 marathons, though I have only run 6.  Although it's been quite some time since I have been paced by bloggers, I still appreciate the pacing support of: Ted, Sasha, Adam W, James B, TylerS.  Even help on one workout is huge, and many have pulled me through several workouts.  I may not have listened to ALL of Sasha's advice, but I think of him with gratitude so often, for believing in me, making me give him five, investing in me, and maintaining the blog so we can all support each other.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: