Fast Running Blog
March 28, 2024, 03:38:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Salt Lake Marathon Female Winner???  (Read 17245 times)
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« on: April 17, 2011, 10:10:42 am »

The "winner" of the woman's race in the Salt Lake Marathon finished more than 9 minutes after the first woman crossed the finish line.  Since she started 11:18 after the gun went off her actual time was 1:41 faster than the first finisher.  USATF rules state that the winner of any sanctioned race is the first to cross the finish line which may not necessarily be the fastest.  The Salt Lake Marathon's website states that cash prizes will be based on gun time, not chip time.  Why did they allow here to be declared the winner?  It is certainly possible that the woman who crossed the finish line first backed off the pace because she had a 3 minute lead on the next woman. 
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 06:19:52 pm »

I definitely agree with the rule that top 3 (or top 10 or whatever) should be on gun time.  It's not fair for someone to start further back, then "beat" you for money or top place even though they were behind you at the finish.  There is a good reason USATF has that rule.  Whoever crosses the line first, wins.
Rob Murphy
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 08:45:50 pm »

Everything should be gun time. This is not a time trial, it's a race! If the Salt Lake Marathon is going to continue to be a USATF sanctioned race and a Utah LDR Circuit event, it needs to follow the rules.

I get the impression that they don't even know the rules or care about them.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 06:50:07 am »

I get the impression that they don't even know the rules or care about them.

Yup, probably true.  If they follow form, they won't pay any of the winners without threat of lawsuit, anyways, so this is a moot point... 
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 08:36:39 am »

The SLC marathon representative is disputing this reading of the rules on the Tribune website...what a crock!  Sounds like the LDR made the wrong decision to keep SLC marathon instead of Ogden or adding UVM.
Bill Cobler
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 09:43:21 am »

Didn't see you had started a thread on the topic and I commented in the news and announcement area on the topic.  Also, the LDR as stated many times before would have loved to had Ogden Marathon on the LDR Circuit, let them know of your disappointment and maybe they will be back next year?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 09:45:07 am by Bill Cobler » Logged
Joe Furse
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 10:41:11 am »

So I was looking at SLCM results for the last couple of years and found an interesting trend.  The winning time went from 2:16 in 2009 to 2:25 this year.  More telling, 10th place in 2009 was 2:45(ish), but dropped off to 2:57ish this year.  If I'm not mistaken, wasn't 2009 the year with the big fiasco where they didn't have any money and wouldn't pay the winners etc?  Would that explain the drop-off, or were there course changes etc?
James Moore
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 04:50:36 pm »

This would be one thing if the Chip times were in any way accurate. But they were clearly not. I started before Ben Rush and finished after him. Anyway you slice it, he beat me. I show up ahead of him in the results because of an apparent glitch with the chip times. Allegedly both Teren and I took over ten seconds to cross the line, when we were lined up in the very front. Whatever SLC. Can we please, please drop this race from the circuit already?
Fritz Van de Kamp
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 10:22:03 pm »

They recorded me finishing in 1:50 even though I swear I finished in about 1:12:30.  38 minutes off isn't bad.  Oh, and last year they didn't pay me my whopping $300 for winning until February, only 10 months after the race.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 10:23:35 pm by Fritz Van de Kamp » Logged
James Moore
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 10:19:03 am »

Fritz, I saw you at mile 6 taking a quick nap.
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 03:55:18 pm »

Just another example of the dreadful management of what could otherwise be a nice event. 
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 04:39:52 pm »

Has there been a year yet where members of the FRB didn't have serious, substantial complaints about SLC marathon?  Does there come a point where this is a boycott (including media attention to all the issues)?

I bet some FRB-ers could put together a nice story for one of the newspapers- there was a fair amount of publicity a few years ago when SLC marathon almost didn't happen cause they hadn't paid the police for the prior or current year, and hadn't paid a lot of the other vendors, either.  Combine that with very late payments to the winners, the controversy with the female winner this year, plus the other snaffus, and you've got a nice story.  What's the point, you ask?  To let the general public, and especially the running public, know that there are a lot better local marathons to support than to spend your money on this one.  Ogden, UVM... anything but SLC.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 08:02:27 pm by Jon Allen » Logged
Rob Murphy
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 07:22:22 pm »

I have reached that point. Last September I went up to Pocatello to run the half which was held in conjunction with the Pocatello Marathon. I came away from it feeling sad that Salt Lake didn't have such a race that obviously involved so much community pride, dedication to the little things that make a race great, and committment to professionalism on the part of the race director and volunteers. I suppose that's the difference between a corporate race that views everything, runners included, as a commodity, and a true community event.

So, I won't be running the Salt Lake Marathon or any related events in the future. Hope to be in Boston next year near abouts that time anyway.
Rob Murphy
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 08:34:23 pm »

Update - after 4 years, my Salt Lake Marathon boycott continues. Hasn't led to any emptiness in my life.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 07:15:21 pm »

Ditto. I've even protested by removing myself from the entire state.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: