Fast Running Blog
April 28, 2024, 04:57:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I experiencing a natural slump or overtraining?  (Read 3476 times)
Jenny Lynes
Lurker

« on: March 22, 2011, 01:05:34 pm »

So, I trained and ran the Painter's half in St. George at the end of January.  I PR'd at 1:41 and felt great! I have never felt so strong in a race.  Unfortunately, the past few weeks everything seems harder.  Going some of the same distances at the pace I was able to do before seems so hard.  I even had trouble feeling like I was getting enough air at the end of yesterday's run.  I am training for the Thanksgiving Point half April 30th and would really like to break 1:40 but lately that seems unlikely.  Am I just wimping out or looking back on previous runs with a golden haze? Or should I lay off my speed a little bit?
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 02:23:27 pm »

Jenny,  I have just taken a peek at your last couple of weeks and it does look like you might be overtraining, esp some slow runs and warm up paces seem a little fast.  I use Greg McMillan's running calculator, and when I put in your 1:41 1/2 marathon pr, it says your easy runs s/b around 8:38-9:08 pace.  If you treat the easy runs easy, you give your body recovery time and it can feel more "on" for hard workouts.  The running calculator also gives you appropriate paces for tempos, and conversions for fartlek (1 min pushes s/b 10k pace). 
Jenny Lynes
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:21:13 pm »

Thank you, Michelle! I hadn't thought of putting my times into a pace calculator.  That makes sense and is actually kind of a relief to me! I definitely think I will back off a little bit on the speed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: