Fast Running Blog
April 28, 2024, 10:36:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Worlds First Half Marathon With Qualification Standards  (Read 12573 times)
steve ashbaker
Lurker

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 09:55:34 am »

I just want to say to the critics that I was there with Hyrum at the first Utah Valley before and during the event and I saw the amount of work and determination he put forward to make the Utah Valley Marathon successful for that year and the years to come.  I am sure this one will be also.  Frankly the idea of the event having charity runners doesn't bother me or detract in the least from my own personal goals or achievement in the event.  If that bothers people I would say get over yourself and just run your own race.  As far as price goes, few people really understand the cost and the logistics that are involved with putting one together now.  From what one race director told me it can be absolutely unreal..   
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:02:24 am by steve ashbaker » Logged

steve ashbaker
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 04:15:29 pm »

So I've been watching this post and wanted to jump in. First off there is a lot about the race that interests me. The date and type of course are perfect for a warm up race before STG in early October. But unless I missed something what makes this race so much different for a guy like me -other than the steep entry fee (more than a lot of marathons)? Lets say I go up and run the race in 1:09:00. A good time; but with a payout like that it will be well out of the prize money. So for my $100 what more than the normal tech tee will I receive for running a sub 1:10 other than being happy with the time and happy to get out of the St. George heat that time of year? I mean having thousands of slower people behind me doesn't bother me in the least. Plus if there are a lot of them then that is how the race can keep the entry fee down and make money. I don't care about the charity thing. But really how much different will this race be from Hobble Creek or TOU half? Other than the really fast guys will make some good money...
Hyrum
Lurker

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 04:54:18 pm »

After reading the Runners World Blog about the event we have again reduced the pricing.  We already weren't going to break even at $99, so at $79 I am starting to question the concept.  I think this is a fun race idea and like Utah Valley Marathon I think this race might not be big the first year, but with time would become much larger.  Eventually the race could become financially stable even at $79 with a limited field.  My family, friends, and co-workers at Valpak all think I am crazy to even try this with the huge potential loses, but they all said the same things with the Utah Valley Marathon.  The scary thing is this is a much larger risk without an open field.  Police, barricade, expo halls, etc. do not become cheaper weather I have 100 athletes or 5,000 athletes.  It is certain that the race will lose money in the first year, but I hope it doesn't lose so much that the race can't continue into future years. 
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 09:20:49 pm »

Hyrum, I love your excitement and determination to do this race. We need more RD like you. And as you have said and demonstrated with UVM, there is a lot of demand out there for well-run races, especially half marathons. I hope you can keep expanding on your successes.

But I have to agree with Clyde. I think he hit the nail on the head. I kind of like the excitement of running with large crowds. I think I would enjoy that more than placing near the end (and paying extra for that privilege).

I love to run races on a beautiful course and to have adequate accommodations (aid stations, potties, start on time, medical/police support, etc). Maybe I'm different from most runners, but that's about all I need. I'd love to see more good quality, big races that are inexpensive and don't have t-shirts or SWAG or an expo. In my mind, that's the recipe for having one of the biggest races in the western U.S. But then again, I'm not a successful RD like you, so what do I know?
Jose Jimenez
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 10:07:35 pm »

Hyrum, I am definitely a fan of yours.  You go out of your way to listen to runners' feedback and I believe that it will pay big dividends just like it has with UVM.  I think the price point in the first year of the race is important and if the event is of the level of quality of your other events people will come back big time.  By the way, congrats on selling out UVM so early this year.
Hyrum
Lurker

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 09:50:57 am »

You guys have all been great, and have given useful advice.  In order to continue to make Utah Valley Marathon great I have decided to turn the Prestige Half Marathon over to Seth Wold.  I am sure that he will do a great job.  One of his new ideas to make the race more successful is similar to some of what I have seen said here.  He will make it an open field, but have qualified athletes pay about $20 less.  Also qualified athletes will have a different corral and earlier start time.
Rob Murphy
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 03:30:24 pm »

Qualified athletes should also get there very own POP's at the starting line!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:25:52 pm by Rob Murphy » Logged
Hyrum
Lurker

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 01:55:09 pm »

Qualified athletes should also get there very own POP's at the starting line!
I will pass that along to Seth.
James Moore
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 04:28:55 pm »

Hyrum, I think this is a good idea. The half marathon is way more popular than the full. One problem that I have racing in Utah is that I never know which half to enter as there are so many. Now I have my answer.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: