Fast Running Blog
September 29, 2024, 11:30:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proper Running shoes for overpronaters  (Read 5617 times)
Colby
Vocal Lurker

« on: December 27, 2010, 12:53:20 pm »

Question all,

So I know that I overpronate somewhere between a moderate and severe category. Because of this I know that I should be running with a "Motion Control" style shoe to make sure that I am not getting injured. Lately I have been running with a "stability" shoe and it has been feeling fine, except the last two weeks or so. My question is, with a Marathon coming up in March, should I be training with a "Motion Control" shoe and then racing with my flats or eventually will my body fix itself as I run with a "stability" style shoe?
  I can't imagine that all marathoners, or even the elites, don't overpronate some, but they are able to overcome it right? Is there a trick to it? Can the body break down and heal itself so much over time that someone no longer has the overpronation problem?
  Thanks for the help and advice.
     -Colby
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 06:57:18 am »

Colby- kind of a tricky question.  I'm not a foot expert, but I think more people are viewing overpronation as natural, not some problem that needs to be "fixed".  If stability shoes have been working, I would stick with those- looking at your training, I would think your recent issues are caused by slight overtraining, probably not shoes.

As for racing flats- unless you are completely injury free and have done some long runs in them, I really wouldn't suggest doing the marathon in flats.  Read this post: http://fastrunningblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,61.0.html
Colby
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 12:28:48 am »

Jon,

Thanks for the advice and ideas. I would assume them if pronation is viewed as natural and not something to be fixed, then runner's bodies must be able to compensate over time. Is it the same with any other bodily injury? Making sure you are running and getting enough recovery time will ultimately allow your body to recover and get "used" to pronation issues?
   I appreciate you looking at my training as well. I have been trying to build up slowly or the Rome Marathon in March, but once I got back from Afghanistan I had a hard time restraining myself from speed and increasing mileage. If I can just get my leg feeling better I may still have a shot at a BQ time, but I am thinking that won't happen this time around.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 07:03:01 am »

I don't think pronation is an injury- just your body's natural gait.  It would be nice to get some more knowledgeable opinions, though.  As for BQ- I suggest a half marathon 3-6 weeks before your race.  Go all out.  If you can't get an equivalent time in that race, you probably won't want to try at the marathon- go out a bit easier instead, then finish stronger for a more enjoyable race.  But if you think you can BQ, you might as well try.
Tamy
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 11:46:11 pm »

Weird to come across your post, as I was just remembering something about myself.  A couple of years ago, I was "diagnosed" by a running store shoe seller as a runner in need of a motion-control shoe because I told him I had shin splints.  I ran in motion-control shoes for a year or so but continued to have pains of one kind or another.  I finally went back to neutral shoes and had better luck.  In my case, the shin splints were probably more to do with increasing mileage too fast rather than a biomechanical problem.
Colby
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 02:41:18 pm »

I don't think I clearly stated what my question was. Maybe I can try again: I am sure that there are elite runner who pronate, and even some that may severely pronate right? If so, how do they avoid injury with so many miles and running in racing flats or minimalist shoes (for that actually do)? It is that one day years into their running they stopped running in motion control shoes and moved to stability for a while, then after they body went through to tear down and rebuilding phases they got used to stability then moved down to neutral?
I imagine that if somebody is getting shin splints or any other injury associated with over pronation that eventually if the runner is smart and doesn't increase mileage or speed to fast, that those weak or injured areas will get stronger and in a sense be "fixed". I know biomechanics can't be completely fixed, but if the body is used to it and has naturally gotten stronger then I would assume that a runner who pronates could actually run with neutral shoes and be just fine. Any confirmation or ideas on this?
Michael Laputka
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 10:38:07 pm »

I used to run in Asics 2100 series, for about 7 years, I burned through about 25 pair over the years.  A few years ago I wanted to change my footstrike, I wanted to land on my forefoot instead of my heal.  I literally changed over in one day, ran 5 miles on the balls of my feet and my calfs screamed for days afterward.  I stayed on the balls of my feet and never went back.  I had to reduce my miles to only a couple miles a day and "re-build" from there.  My motivation for doing this was the desire to run in flats.  I put on a pair and fell in love with the feel of 6 oz on my feet, I felt like I could fly, but not for long.

At first, I would race 5 and 10K's in them, absolutely loved them.  I wanted to wear them all the time, especially for a marathon.  I started wearing them for long training runs, usually 3 or 4 times a month.  As soon as I could do a 20 mile training run in them I never looked back.

Now the next obstacle, flats are expensive.  Running in flats costs more than driving a car, I could not justify that so I only race in them.  I wear Crocs for all my running.  I still pronate but my feet and legs are much stronger.  I feel like I could crush walnuts with my toes, I see muscles and tendons in my lower legs that I never knew existed.  I'm exaggerating, but not very much, mostly about the walnuts.

So that's what worked for me.  I have not read "Born to Run", or any other kind of minimalist book.  I read a few articles a few years back, probably in "Runners World" or "Running Times" about landing on the forefoot.  When I started running on my forefeet my body naturally wanted something light and flexible.  When I tried Crocs I knew I found a new home.  I'd prefer flats but you can't beat getting 900 miles out of a $25 purchase.

Something else strange happened to me.  After running in Crocs for a while, my body wanted me to kick off the Crocs and runs some miles barefoot.  So I did it and loved it.  Can't wait for the warmer weather!

Oh, and another strange thing, on really snowy, slushy days, I put on the ole' Asics 2130's.  I absolutely HATE them!  Too bulky, stiff and heavy. 
Colby
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 05:09:51 am »

Mike, do you pronate much? How much time did it take for you to get to the point that you could everyday as a forefoot striker? Last question, what kind of crocs do you run in? Just the normal kind that everybody has?
Michael Laputka
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 09:53:42 pm »

I moderately overpronate on one foot.  When I decided to become a forefoot striker I did all of my running on my forefeet from day one.  At the time I was running about 4 to 5 times a week for about 20-30 miles.  I run in normal Crocs, specifically "Classic" and "Beach".  The two styles are practically identical.
Davy Crockett
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 01:18:20 pm »

I overpronate in the right foot.  I believe it has more to do with my hip.  The leg doesn't quite swing correctly.  I can run on the treadmill with a mirror, and try as I may, I just can't correct it all the way.  Shoes with some stability help me.  They help with the feet, knee, and hip.  I've never correlated shin splints with pronation.  I correlate those with mileage base and tight calves.  I've read Born to Run and don't buy into that crock, pun intended  Smiley, at least for the type of running I do.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 05:36:58 pm »

Crockett, interesting, I am pretty much the same as you -- I way overpronate on my right side (plus my foot points out); however, my MTSS (bad shin splits) was worse on my left side.  My therapist says it is the way my foot lands it bows out my knee and the force just hits hard.  Anyway ... I am using orthotics right now, I don't like them, but then again I haven't had any problem since I started using them so I think they are working. 

I still love my Nike Free TR's -- but I find my legs feel better in the Asics DS Trainers ... just a little medial support can go a long way.  I am not one to go for trends of any type (e.g., barefoot running craze) -- that said, my better half has been a barefoot/minimalist for about 10 years now.  He was able to change his form and completely get rid of his knee problems a few years back.  But, the downside was he now has severe (like almost 1 year of no running severe) capsulitis in his foot from the pressure on his second metatarsal bone.  He doesn't think it has to do with his new running form, I am not sure ... he is pretty smart (much smarter than me anyway) -- but he never had this particular problem before.

All this means, that I think it is hit and miss to find exactly what works for any given runner -- and, even when you find what "works", it might not work forever ... we need to be ever vigilant AND be flexible, ready to change up when needed.

Happy trails!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: