Fast Running Blog
April 29, 2024, 07:00:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New runner training  (Read 3193 times)
Patrick
Lurker

« on: December 13, 2010, 11:27:24 am »

Yesterday I ran 10.8k in 1:11:00 (just over my goal of 10 minutes per mile) - I had so much left at the end of the race that I ran extreemly fast for the last mile.
Now I would like to plan my weekly miles to run a half marathon in May and a full marathon in the fall of 2011.
Is that a good plan or should I go for a full marathon in the spring.
What should my base be for a half marathon and for how long should I have that base?
What should my base be for a full marathon and for how long should I have that base?
Colby
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 10:57:45 pm »

Patrick,

I would say that your plan of a half this spring and a marathon in Fall is a good one. That may be a failing on my part as I am getting ready for a marathon in March. You just want to take it really slow and build a good base of aerobic fitness. Long slow miles will do this over time. If you do it right you can build up a good base by mid-late summer and then start adding speed to your workouts. I would suggest not doing speed and mileage at the same time. You will surprised at how much faster you will get just doing long, slow runs. This is a pretty basic and broad answer, if you want specifics I can try and help with that too.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 08:38:06 pm »

Patrick- the short answer is that you should build as big of a base as you can without getting injured.  Just pay attention to your body and rest enough.  But the bigger the base, the easier the marathon will be.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: