Fast Running Blog
March 29, 2024, 07:58:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How Oprah Ruined the Marathon  (Read 13345 times)
Burt McCumber
Posting Member

« on: November 30, 2010, 03:48:48 pm »

http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2007/11/03/marathon

I came across this little gem of an article.  While I don't endorse everything the author says, I do agree that Oprah ruins pretty much everything she touches.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 08:30:29 pm »

Cheesy
If you're gonna do something, do it the best you can.  That's what I figure.
Kam
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 11:16:35 am »

There is a big difference between running a marathon and completing a marathon.  Both are noteworthy accomplishments, though I favor the former.  That said, the marathon is a quest, and some people may run a marathon in 4.5 hours. 
Jennifer Schmidt
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 11:29:25 am »

I know that are not many people like me on this blog, but I am one of those people that runs a marathon in over 4+ hours and it is a challenge for me each and every time.  I just finished my 12th marathon and outside of the first couple, I have always had the goal to run it as fast as I can.  I have only completed two marathons in under 4:30.  You must remember that not all of have the gift to run fast. At my natural pace, it takes me a lot longer to cover the same distance as it does many others.  I just remind myself that I can't compare myself to someone that runs 2:30 or 3:00 marathons.  All I can do is work as I hard as I can and hope that it all works out.

Happy Running!

Jennifer
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 04:42:16 pm »

My 2 marathons I've done were 4:26 and 4:33ish and let me tell you with both I RAN them. I might have bonked hard and had to walk much of the last 5k, but I ran every step up until then, hitting the 1/2 around 2 hours. I am a larger runner 6'2" and 220 lbs. I think many of the more biomechanically fit runners forget that many of us are not the svelt 120lb or less distance runners. Carrying my weight is much much harder!
Colby
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 05:43:51 am »

I think ultimately what this article is saying is more of a mindset thing than what your finishing time ends up being. Because Oprah is an icon for many people both male and female, her marathon time has become a new standard for many instead of a more challenging BQ time. Regardless of what time we finish in, our mindset should be on running our absolute best. I do think that people should get back to setting their marathon goal for a BQ time. Maybe you don't reach it on your first attempt, but set that as your mark and train for it. Challenge yourself and don't feel satisfied with anything less until you reach it, then set your mark higher!
Chelsi
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 10:55:17 am »

I appreciate knowing there are others on here in the same position as me, i.e. running a marathon in over 4 hours. I took a bit of a break from this blog because I really felt like I didn't belong with all those super-fast athletes who run tons of mpw. Smiley My ultimate goal would be to qualify for Boston, but I think that is quite a few years out. I still think it's an amazing accomplishment for most people to complete a marathon. Most people I know are impressed with a 4:30 marathon--they think it's pretty fast. I appreciate their perspective... It helps me remember that I'm doing something great, even if it's not anywhere near competitive or impressive to the super athletes.
rodney wirthlin
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 09:12:25 pm »

I read the story.  Mr Edward McClelland strikes me as "purist" and a bit angry. 
Sarah Pachev
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 09:49:46 pm »

I ran my first and only marathon in 4:45..my husband is Sasha..or the guy who started the fast running blog..the blog is not about being faster than everyone..it is about attaining personal excellence. Sasha is all about each person attaining the best they have in them.  He knows that me and many many other people really do train for that type of marathon time and it is noteworthy for us.  He also knows there are people that have a faster time in them and he can help them with that too.  That is why we have this blog and that's what it is about.  Smiley
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 06:14:24 pm »

On the blog we make a 5 hour guy a 4 hour guy, a 4 hour guy a 3 hour guy. We wish we could make the 3 hour guy the 2 hour guy, but at this point we run into some limits that laws of nature impose that at least I do not know how to override. I am not saying it is impossible to overcome them. But we can make a 3 hour guy a 2:30 instead.

I would like to use this post to extend an invitation to all runners stuck in the slower than 4 hours bracket. If you really would like to be out of that bracket, and you are willing to do what it takes doing your honest best within what your circumstances will permit you, I will help you personally. If you live close enough to Orem, Utah, come join me on the runs. I already do a good amount of mileage at 8:30-9:00 pace with my younger children, and I would not mind slowing down to 9:30-10:00 to accommodate your pace. If you live too far away, feel free to email me sasha at asksasha.com - if you have enough data in your blog, or if you can just describe your training, I may come up with something, at least I am willing to try. But I do believe that a healthy person younger than 50 even without talent should be able to crack 4 hours. Some people think that they are tone deaf, but with proper instruction and persistence (which I have not done yet in the music department) I believe a "tone deaf" person can sing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: