Fast Running Blog
March 28, 2024, 02:40:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: exercise bike  (Read 8002 times)
Patrick
Lurker

« on: October 11, 2010, 03:51:43 pm »

I am running 4.2 miles every two days in a bout 45 minutes.
I want to run faster.
should i just run more or can i use my exercise bike to increase my strength and cardio.
should I ride my exercise bike right after my run or on my day off - or should i just add more distance every night.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 12:35:35 pm »

Patrick- if you want to get faster, the best way is to build up till you can run everyday.  Exercise bike can increase cardio, but not as fast as running, and it won't help you run faster as much as more running will.  Cross training can be good for easy days and injury prevention, though.

I would work on running everyday first, then add more mileage once you adjust to that. 
Dan
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 06:16:02 pm »

Patrick - I agree with Jon and he is much better than I am. I would add that I was in a similar situation as you early this year. Although I ran a little more than you it was not much. I took the advice of the group here and slowly added days before miles until I could run 6 days a week. Then I added miles to each day. I strongly suggest you do it slowly, but even so you will be surprised how you add speed by just adding base miles without doing actual "speed work".
Patrick
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 08:29:22 pm »

Today i packed up all my running books that say you must never run everyday and put them in the garage. I am trusting your advice and well today is day 3 of 6 days of running. legs are good cardio/breathing not so good yet. I will let you know how it goes.
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 09:02:59 am »

Patrick, today was my 33rd consecutive running day. No breaks in between. But, it is important to mention, ALL of my runs are easy runs, all of them. And, also, my runs are short (5k). I feel great. Can't go longer because of medical reasons, but also ChrisM went over 400 days consecutive running.
The important advise is : Listen to your body !
Kam
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 01:54:22 pm »

Patrick, I would caution you about going from 3 days a week running to 6 days a week all at the same time.  A good rule of thumb is to not increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% per week.  I'd spend a couple weeks at 4 days/week before moving on to 5 days/week, etc.  Also, including a step-back week in between these increases is a good idea.  It will allow your body recovery time to assimilate the change in workload.  Too quick of a ramp-up could put you at a high risk for injury.  Good luck!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: