Fast Running Blog
April 28, 2024, 01:30:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding Miles  (Read 3636 times)
Chris Weidman
Lurker

« on: December 16, 2007, 07:01:13 am »

This is usually where I screw up initially - so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Last week I did a 9M week with a 3M long run and this week I did a 11M week with a 4M long run. Technically I went over the "10%" rule for adding miles. I want to make sure that I am not jumping into this too quickly or see if perhaps I am taking it to cautious. I know that I pretty much just need patience in getting myself back into this and yet in the 2 1/2 weeks I've been back it has been relatively easy to get to where I am now.

So, my question is: Should I stick to the 10% increase and remain cautious or go by how I "feel" and increase that way? I currently run 4 days a week and will eventually increase it to 6.

RunStrong - Chris

Pain of Discipline or Pain of Regret
You Choose!
Ted Leblow
Posting Member

"Don't give up...don't ever give up." - Jimmy V.

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 07:50:30 am »

The main factor is to keep it easy while you are increasing your miles. Run by how you feel and make sure you do not push hard, in fact it is ok to even walk if needed at first. An incease from 9 to 11 is not too much. I do not see a need to increase your longest run beyond the 4 miles that you did until you are up to running 4 miles a day 6 days a week. Once you can handle this then you can look at adding a longer run once or twice a week. My thoughts for your build up are below based on your last two weeks of 9 and 11:

Week 1 - 2m, 3m, 2m, 2m, 4m (13 miles in 5 days)
Week 2 - 2m, 3m, 2m, 2m, 2m, 4m (15 miles in 6 days)
Week 3 - 2m, 3m, 2m, 3m, 2m, 4m (16 miles in 6 days)
Week 4 - 2m, 3m, 2m, 3m, 2m, 4m (16 miles in 6 days)
Week 5 - 3m, 3m, 3m, 3m, 2m, 4m (18 miles in 6 days)
Week 6 - 3m, 4m, 3m, 3m, 3m, 4m (20 miles in 6 days)
Week 7 - 3m, 4m, 3m, 3m, 3m, 4m (20 miles in 6 days)
Week 8 - 4m, 4m, 3m, 4m, 3m, 4m (22 miles in 6 days)
Week 9 - 4m, 4m, 4m, 4m, 4m, 4m (24 miles in 6 days)

I think this is a pretty conservative build up that you should be able to handle. Once you are up to the 4 miles a day I would stay here for about 3 weeks and then look at adding a long run of 6 miles once a week. After that gradually building up to 5 miles a day would be a good goal. The key is consistency (running six days a week) and doing it easy so the body adapts as you increase.

I hope this helps and is doable for you.
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 08:24:57 am »

I agree with Ted, it is important to take it easy right now while you starting to build up with your mileage.  Last February I had just recovered from an injury and had to start up from scratch, and this was hard for me to do, but really made a difference.  The other thing was, as you look at the training plan Ted outlined for you, was running 6 days a week.  This made a HUGE difference for me.  I used to ascribe to the 3-4 days a week theory (usually MWF, then a long run on Sat), and this was the time when I found myself getting injured a lot.  Running every day trains the body to be used to running, and taking a break on Sunday gives the body a chance to rebuild.  So my thoughts are the same as Ted's, take it easy, build up your mileage slowly and listen to your body.  You will notice that in only two months, you will have already doubled your weekly mileage.  Good luck!
Chris Weidman
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 04:58:09 pm »

Thanks Ted and James - I really appreciate that and will give it all my best to follow and use your advice - it does sound quite right as I look at it. Thanks!

Pain of Discipline or Pain of Regret
You Choose!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: