Fast Running Blog
April 18, 2024, 09:30:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Knee Injury Rehab  (Read 3012 times)
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« on: June 21, 2010, 10:57:38 am »

The past two months I have had a fairly painful knee injury which appeared without too many possible causes. When I run, I will feel a pain in my knee cap every few strides which limits the intensity that I can run at/ cause my other leg to overcompensate. I have been to a BYU trainer and a PT in Lehi, and they both concluded that it was probably something to do with my knee cap being off track. The PT described it as patellofemoral syndrome, feeling that it had to do with inflamation of the kneecap, while the trainer felt the cause was due to a tight patellar tendon. Regardless, I have taken the last two weeks off after track season ended in hopes that this would allow more time to heal. I have now started up running again, and four days into the season it feels much like it did before I took a break. I have been given exercises by the PT which should help strengthen the leg of the injured knee, but that is all they do is strengthen. My question is, what is the most effective way after runs to treat knee pain. Should it involve extensive stretching, icing, massage, ibuprofen, certain foods? What is the most efficient way to promote healing?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 12:36:13 pm »

My past experience with physical therapy is that it always fixed the problem. In other words, strengthening and stretching the area will make the root of the problem go away, which will make the effect (inflammation, pain) go away as well. It may take awhile, though, up to several months. There is usually NO quick fix. In the meantime, try to stay fit, keep your weight down or lose weight if you have put some on. That will reduce stress. Consider also getting a gait analysis done by a podiatrist or a PT who specializes in that kind of thing. Orthotics may have some short-term value.

Ice is good after activity. Massage is great. If you can find a good massage therapist experienced in treating athletes, and who can go deep, that may benefit you long-term. Ibuprofin and other NSAIDs help dull pain and reduce inflammation over the short term, but do nothing for you over the long term (besides give you an ulcer). You need to take pretty high doses of ibuprofen at consistent intervals in order to get the true anti-inflammatory effect. It may help wick down inflammation and gets things a little under control while in the acute phase, but won't solve any problems. Best of luck.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 12:50:06 pm »

I agree with what Paul has indicated.  I had this same issue a few years ago and took about a month off from running and I did cross training (elliptical and stationary bike) and some exercises to strengthen my quad.  In addition, I have tried to really focus on my form ever since which has helped quite a bit.  One of the best ways to protect the knee during running is to have strong quads.

Good luck in the recovery.
Rob Murphy
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 05:52:18 am »

Steve, I know this is annoying as you prepare for your first year of college running. The transition from high school to college running is hard enough without having to deal with nagging injuries. Don't get too frustrated and realize that dealing with injuries successfully is part of being a mature athlete. You have a great resource at BYU in Coach Eyestone. Use him!

The previous two posts are both excellent. The points made about strengthening the knee and quadricep will be the most helpful in the long run. Squats, leg extensions, leg curls, and plyometric box jumps will really help.

Good luck.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: