Fast Running Blog
April 30, 2024, 07:06:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 miles per day  (Read 3451 times)
Paul
Lurker

« on: April 18, 2010, 07:56:34 am »

As I begin increasing my mileage I have a question regarding the 10 mile per day plan.  For those of you who run 10+miles per day, is it necessary to run all 10 miles at the same time? Or is it better to maybe break it up into two 5 mile runs (except the weekly long run)? Or a little of both?

I'm currently putting in 30-35ish mpw, and plan on increasing my runs over the next 4-5 months to 60-70 mpw.  My next question regarding the 10 miles/day, should these runs all be at a slow pace until I achieve the 60-70 mpw goal?

Finally, if anyone is interested in mentoring me towards a BQ in the next few years, I would love the help

Thanks all,

Paul
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:31:36 am »

Paul-

Running doubles is fine.  http://fastrunningblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,228.0.html  That being said, I would suggest a mix- some days do doubles, some days do singles.  Also, you don't have to be a slave to exactly 10 miles a day.  The big thing is consistency.  Running 8 miles one day, 12 the next, then 10, then an easy day of 6 is fine.  If you do the exact thing everyday, it might get monotonous (see Pete Pfitzinger's book "Advanced Marathoning" for more on this).

As for pace- like Sasha says, run easy enough that you are recovered (or mostly recovered) by the next day.  Don't worry about exact pace, you can just run by feel.  I'm sure you'll run faster some days and slower on others.

Hope this helps.
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 12:55:44 pm »

Paul--I think it is a great idea to just run easy runs all the time and work your way up to 60mpw slowly.  That way you get a great base without getting injured.  It is the best advice I ever took. I don't see a problem with two-a-days.  I built a base mostly by running about ten a day all at once but had to switch to two-a-days for some days when our family schedule changed.  Both ways seemed to work fine.
Michael Laputka
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 03:37:59 pm »

Paul,
I'd say do whatever you're schedule allows.  I'm guessing some doubles during the week fits better in your schedule?  That's how it worked out for me.  I do doubles three days a week.  I think it was a blessing in disguise, I remember these doubles were really kicking my butt at first.  For me, doubles were an easier  way to balance increased mileage with work and family life.  I was in the same predicament you're in now, going from 30-35 to 60+.  As far as pacing, don't worry about it, find a pace that you can do that will allow you to get through all your runs, speed will come.  I made my biggest improvements in 5 and 10K times when I ran 6 days a week and increased my weekly mileage.  I'm living proof that what this board preaches works.  Run six days a week, once you build up to 60 terrific things happen.  Consistency, consistency and a little more consistency.  It really is that simple.
Paul
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 10:51:04 am »

Excellent advice all, Thank you so much for your time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: