Fast Running Blog
April 25, 2024, 05:03:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: sore outer calf (Gastrocnemius)  (Read 7350 times)
Jeff
Lurker

« on: February 23, 2010, 08:01:31 am »

I've taken a recent hiatus from running in hopes that this annoying pain in my right outer calf (Gastrocnemius?) would go away. It seems like running over 2-3 miles brings the pain back. I wish I had vehemently kept up my journal, but I will try recall the events as they transpired in hopes that someone could illuminate me on whether it could be my form, shoes, or el nino.

Let me back up... queue the flashback sequence...

I ran my first marathon in mid-november of 2009. The last 3 miles of the race, I kept getting the sensation that my right calf would seize or cramp up. I had to stop and stretch about 4 times during those final minutes, but I finished. I took the week following the marathon off and resumed running about 15 miles a week after that.

Several weeks later I try a seven miler. I made it to four before the pain came and I had to stop by six. So I take a week off (meaning: no running, just cross training 5-6 days per week) and try again. This time, I have to stop after two miles. So I decide take about 2-3 weeks off.

end flashback sequence... return to the present...

My plan now is to re-introduce running in the amount of 1 mile a day and gradually increase that at a rate of 15% per week. After nine weeks I should be at the 25 mile/week mark. I will hover here for about 4-6 weeks and then gradually increase at a rate of 10% per week. Is this a sound plan? I want to run another marathon, but don't want to rush anything.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 09:51:55 am »

Jeff - I like your plan. I would throw in some cross-training as well to maintain your cardiovascular fitness. Also, make sure you eat a healthy balanced diet and get plenty of sleep.
Jeff
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 01:06:58 pm »

Thank you. I will definitely add other cardiovascular workouts to this routine (biking, swimming, elliptical, weight training). I have been working out about 6 days a week so that when I got back to running I wouldn't be wheezing like a smoker walking uphill in the desert.
Scott
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 05:06:24 pm »

Jeff - I have pain in my outer calf area.  It started about 2 weeks ago.  I can run and it seems to get better once I start running and it is warmed up.  It annoying when I'm not running, or am not warmed up yet.  It hasn't prohibited me from doing anything...yet.  I've kept my training schedule the same as it hasn't gotten any worse, but it hasn't improved either.

So, after reading your post, I'm concerned.  Did your calf start hurting prior to running your marathon (i.e. those last three miles) or did it just come on suddenly?  Have you tried different remedies (ice, elevation, etc.)? 
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 02:36:58 pm »

St. George Marathon 2008 I had a similar calf seizing issue in the last 2 miles, but a bit more medial that lateral. 

After Ogden Marathon, May 2009, felt some tightness/pain.  It resurfaced during Utah Valley Marathon 2009 in June, so I was forced to just ease in to the finish.  After 2 more marathons, I built back up to where I ran a PR at St. George 2009. 

However, since then then I have been suffering from tendinitis.  I went to sports doc, had images taken, etc. to rule out other injuries.  I'm working on correcting some long-term muscle imbalances in the soleus, and hips.  Dr. said I could continue to run, but I am finding that after about one hour all I do is set myself back on the tendinitis issue without getting any real running fitness.  I might have been better recovered if he had simply said stop running for a while.  Oh, well, live and learn.  I am now continuing to address the muscle imbalance and am going to only cross train for a bit so I can actually really run again.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 08:55:51 pm »

Paul - except for some severe cases, to run some is better than to run none because you really, really, really do not want to forget how to run. You just need to find the magic distance and pace that promotes recovery and stick to it. I would guess if it hurts after an hour, you should be safe with 30 minutes a day, and that would like trying to survive off temporary jobs and good food storage vs trying to survive with no income at all and no food storage.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: