Fast Running Blog
June 09, 2024, 09:21:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Summary of your year in running  (Read 10132 times)
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« on: December 29, 2009, 12:03:28 am »

I'm curious how people would briefly review their year in running that they would like to share with everyone.  Specifically, maybe put a high point and low point (or favorite and least favorite, best thing and biggest mistake, etc).

For me, my high point was quite a number of good races, including finally breaking my marathon goal and having a few good trail races.  I also set my 5k PR and competed in a 50 miler for the first time.  My mileage was the highest it's ever been, and I've been relatively injury free (at least till last week).  The low point was probably not running in the mountains as much as I like during the summer.  I'll have to fix that next year.

What about you?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 11:59:19 am by Jon Allen » Logged
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 08:20:32 am »

A great year of running for me: 
- Stayed healthy all year
- A new mileage high
- Ran 5 marathons in five different states (Idaho, Utah, Massachusetts, Florida, Indiana)
- Won a marathon outright (Poky) and won the Master's category at 2 others
- Ran Boston with Josh Cox and Peter Reid and earned a sponsorship from PowerBar
- Set a new 10K PR
- Ran a lot with my friend's and met a few FRBer's face to face for the first time
- Had a great time combining marathons and vacations with the family

Learning opportunities:
- 5 marathons is too many!
- Getting passed in the last 10m at Indianapolis
- Need to run more hills and fast finish long runs
Chris M
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:31:05 am »

I will be greedy and put in high/low points

High points: getting a PB in the half marathon from 1:27 to 1:23 and feeling that with slightly better conditions it could have been lowered even more. Probably also getting the 5km PB down to 18:22 from being over 19:00 the year before. Learning more about what does and does not work for me regarding training. Also PBs at 10km and 10miles. Training was more consistent than last year and more workouts too. Learning how long it takes for me to taper was quite useful and explained some performances.

Low points: for any distance upwards of 5km I know how to train my body to put in a good performance, but I still haven't figured exactly what is the best strategy for me to train for 5km. THe PB I mentioned in the high points came the day after I accidentally ran 10 miles (I mixed up the week of the race!). Well there is always next year, and I have some ideas about what to work on! Doing a supposed 20km race that had very poor organization and ended up being closer to 30km!

Josse

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 09:02:12 am »

My low point is still having sciatic pain.  But I can manage it and run with it.
My high points are I got to run this year and had a PR in the marathon on limited training.  I have learned I run the best on lower mileage (60 mile a week compared to 80).  Got to run with great people, and run lots of trails with my dog (I am missing that with the snow).
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 10:34:04 am »

High point: Deseret News Marathon
Low point: Ogden Marathon

Other highlights and lowlights of 2009:

-RnR ARIZONA 1/2 marathon
-1/2 marathon PR @ Strider's WRC with an arctic wind
-Running with the Devil 1/2 marathon @ 112 degrees F
-PR in the 5K
-LDR circuit
-Discovery of Brooks Launch
-Final five mile meltdown at TOU marathon and sour end to the racing season
-Injured foot, injured shin, freak knee failure, injured hip, injured shin take two

For 2010:
Stay healthy and train smarter. Be more grateful for the opportunity to run; don't take my health for granted. Bring back the BWs. Get more sleep and eat more bananas.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 10:42:23 am by Allie » Logged
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 11:26:43 am »

I'll take a stab...

Highlights:
*Staying healthy for the entire year, logging over 2600 miles
*Racing 10 times this year. I love racing.
*Doing a pretty good job of balancing running with the other (more important) facets of life
*Learning the importance (and fun) of long tempo runs (10+ miles)
*Half marathon PR in Indianapolis
*Half marathon PR in Seattle, Top 5 ($$$) in a big event
*15K PR in Indianapolis (split)
*Finishing within a minute of two runners I really respect at TOU Half, plus getting a taste of running really fast
*Defending the home turf and winning TOU Marathon (probably my favorite moment of the year)
*Moving to a new town and finding all sorts of great running routes

Lowlights Learning Opportunities:
*Getting beat by almost 4 minutes at the Striders Half. Combined with the weather there, it was really not fun, but it's good to get whipped and completely humbled once in a while.
*Not kicking hard enough, and missing the Top 10 by just a few seconds in Indianapolis. I think I had it in me, but couldn't force the gear. Mental weakness.

Very few lowlights. It was a great year.

Goals for 2010:
*Stay healthy again. Improve training (both volume and quality), while still keeping running a lower priority to God, family, and work. Time-effecient!
*Beat my TOU Half time at the Indy Mini this May (sub-1:06:30)
*Break 2:19:00 at a marathon this fall.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 12:14:50 pm »

High Points:

I really didn't have any but.. can try to consider these:
Mileage over 3,400 miles for the year.
Ran a good relay leg at Bone and Back in Idaho Falls.
Ran a 2:40 at the Provo Marathon when I wasn't fit or ready for it because of injury and low miles, and spending time with Jeff and his family while in Provo and SLC. That really meant more to me than the marathon time.
Best Thing: Fellowship with other FRB runner's at marathon's and on the Blog.
Spend less money traveling this year to Marathon's

Low points:
Pocatello Marathon:  being sick with a ear infection, and stomach issues while running the race.
Injury Injury ---  Achillies Tendonitis, foot pain, and food issues.
Not racing much and seeing other FRB runners.
Work really strapped me down where I couldn't do what I wanted this year.

Big Mistake
1. Probably running the Pocatello Marathon when I know I didn't feel well and my heart wasn't into it.  I knew going in that it wasn't going to be a good day.
2. Following-up last comment you should always go into a marathon with confidence even though you don't feel well.  No excuse.
3. I needed more tempo runs I felt this year.  The endurance was there but I think speed could have been more a priority.
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 12:25:01 pm »

This was a year of firsts, and the highlights are too many to count--first 10k, first half-marathon, first marathon!  First full year running, as I am a novice.  A few low points, although they were lessons more than anything--an ankle injury, plantar fascitis, a nagging sciatica issue--all of which seem to be clearing up to ring in the new year more or less injury-free.  I have a lot of appreciation for this blog and the support and advice--none of these firsts would have ever happened without it! I discovered a passion for running, a newfound awe of my Creator who can take anyone and change anything, and a deep appreciation for my supportive and loving spouse.
Joe
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 01:16:18 pm »

Low: I started running in July and almost keeled over after 20 minutes on the TM at 10:00 pace.

High: Ran in the snow today (in Texas).  I ended up soaked and found out toward the end of my run that I had been leaking snot and/or drool the whole time but I did 4 miles at 8 min. each which was unthinkable this summer.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 03:41:41 pm »

Experimental year. Experimentally discovered the limits of my resistance to injury. Learned that Crocs are OK, barefoot on grass is OK, but sprinting and jumping in Five Fingers on pavement is not.
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 04:01:37 pm »

Highs:
  • Getting back into running and sticking with my goal to run 5 times per week all year.
  • Meeting great people on the blog.
  • Losing 25 pounds. Even though I was never "fat," I realized I could be much trimmer and healthier.
  • Seeing myself make progress all year and BQ in October. Watch out 2010!
  • Realizing that running can be an escape from the stresses of work/school.

Lows:
  • Getting a little too opinionated sometimes in the discussion forum. Smiley
  • Nothing else, seriously.
Superfly

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 04:14:23 pm »

Battled a bad left hammy all year... still doing so. Didn't stress much at all about "training". Ran a relaxed amount of mileage and focused more on some family stuff. Had a great time pacing a friend in the STG marathon (one of my best running memories).
Hoping to be able to race again and well in 2010. I kind of have the itch again.
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 04:42:48 pm »

Interesting post!

High points:
  - First full year running.
  - First HM & first full marathon.
  - 10k PR
  - Fairly good mileage.
  - Finally got rid of my achilles tendon problem.
  - First full year non-smoking
  - Running has become a habit.

Low points
  - Couple of "low injuries"
  - Crashed in full marathon
  - Need to get back to the basics: 6 days a week, 10 miles per day.
  - Need to push until I reach the "puke zone" in races.

Matthew Ricks
Lurker

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 01:36:18 pm »

High Points:
- Ran a lot of races: One 3k, three 5k's, one 8k, three 10k's, one 10 miler, two half marathons, one 16 miler, one 17 miler, one 30k, one full marathon, one 28 miler, one 50k, and one 50 miler.
- First year running Ultras.
- Won a $1000 jewelry gift certificate at the Race for Diamonds in October.

Low Points:
- Lazy mornings when I slept in instead of going out for a run.
Mike Davis
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 04:52:26 pm »

High points:
*Setting PR's in 5, 10, 15, and 20k races
*Several 70+ mile weeks
*Several 300+ mile months
*Highest mileage year ever - 1671

Low Points:
*Dropping out of a race (Rock and Roll Seattle)
*Doing cardio cross training in a gym
*Starting over after 6+ weeks on crutches

Lessons learned:
*Overtraining is real, even for a novice like me
*Wise up and rest when it hurts
*Suck it up and keep going when I'm tired

Goals for '10:
*Listen to my body and stay injury free
*Base this year's training on last year's stats (Garmin/Sporttracks)
*Use HRM consistently to get better stats for next year
*Set new PRs in Resolution Run Series 5-20k
*BQ at Green River Marathon 6/5/10
*Save $$ for trip to Boston in 2011

Close calls:

Make sure you're wide-awake before reaching for one of these.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 07:39:14 pm by Mike Davis » Logged

-Mike

Running without hills is like motorcycling without corners.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: