Fast Running Blog
June 21, 2024, 12:05:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Throwing up during races  (Read 3589 times)
Toby Barlow
Lurker

« on: December 16, 2009, 02:23:43 pm »

I know this is a yucky subject, but when I am racing (not during training runs), I always throw-up or feel like I am going to.  What is causing this and what can I do to stop it?
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 04:00:43 pm »

Some people feel sick if they run with food in their stomachs.  Some people feel sick if they don't have food in their stomachs (including me).  Some people feel sick due to excess acid (i.e. take some Tums).  And I'm sure there are other reasons, too.  I would suggest seeing which type you are through experimentation.

It might also just be nerves, in which case the way to stop it would be to not race  Wink
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 04:45:02 pm »

I've had my share of these situations. Most of the time it's having food or the wrong types of food in my stomach. I've found that on race day I run the best with the least amount of food possible to preform. Most of the time this is easy to control as I just eat small and early the morning of a race. Where I've had major problems is in relay's when you have to keep running and eating.
Also I found that years ago when my base level of fitness wasn't stellar that dry heaving at the end of races was almost like clockwork. This problem was eliminated by being better prepared to hold the red line longer.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 05:47:55 pm »

My experience is exactly the same as Superfly ... I always thought it was "timing" of eating or not eating, but lately I have learned it had has more to do with my fitness level.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 12:32:19 pm »

Toby - throwing up during a race is frequently caused by the neural drive exceeding aerobic fitness. In other words you know how to push yourself to the limit and past it.

This is not necessarily bad. At any point of your development as a runner either aerobic fitness or neural drive will lag behind, so a very well trained runner could have the ability to push himself very hard. Thus even the best runners throw up after a race. Lasse Viren did after winning the Olympics. I consider it an honor to throw up after a race. You might not have the speed to win the Olympics, but you can have the determination and prove it.

However, what I expect to see is that overtime as you train consistently and your aerobic fitness improves, it will become harder for you to drive your body to the point of throwing up even though you will be running significantly faster.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 02:22:52 pm »

Well said Sasha, that is what I meant  Wink
Toby Barlow
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 07:56:56 pm »

Thank you all for your responses.  I think it is a combinations of everything!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: