Fast Running Blog
April 19, 2024, 03:30:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 days to marathon: what to do?  (Read 4273 times)
Tamy
Lurker

« on: November 04, 2009, 09:57:49 am »

I've been ignoring a calf/achilles pain for a month, but it's become almost dibilitating (but only while running) since my 24 miler on Saturday.  Each run since has been rather painful.  With only 10 days to the marathon, I don't know if I should rest more or keep doing my weekly miles without the long run.  Ideas? Undecided
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 11:02:15 am »

Don't know if it's the same thing, but I had some calf/achilles pain (strain?) a few months ago that hurt primarily during running.  I backed off my mileage a bit, but mainly iced it a lot, avoided all hills and speedwork, and made sure my shoes weren't old.  It slowly improved.  But a few days rest could really help, too.  Where you are within a few weeks of your marathon, it is better to err on the side of resting more and being healthy rather than pushing hard and being injured.  None of your miles at this point will help you run faster at your race, anyways- you're training is already done.
Tamy
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 12:39:20 pm »

Jon, I always appreciate your thoughtful advice.  Thanks.  I'll follow your advice.   Smiley
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 03:36:34 pm »

Tamy- on the rest, I wouldn't do more than 2-3 days off, since you don't want to get sluggish.  If anything, take a few days off right now to get on top of this.  Then easy runs for a few days to see how it feels and see if it improved.  Then you could do a day or two a bit harder, then ease into the marathon with shorter days again.  I wouldn't just take the next 7 days completely off, or anything like that.  But 2 or 3 days, followed by a few days of running, might be the thing you need.  And lots of icing.
Tamy
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 05:10:59 pm »

I started icing after reading your first post and am sitting here icing now.  I will take off 2 days max if I can even hold back that much.  I certainly won't take off a week.  I think a strain is a good diagosis.  Appreciate your advice!
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 05:23:35 pm »

Rest will only help you at this point. I took 2 weeks off before each of my first two marathons and I was more than fine. I was only coming off of 14-15 mile long runs too! I do longer runs now getting ready for 1/2s lol! Also practice R.I.C.E. treatment as much as you can. It will help! Try to stay off your feet a bit. Rest up!
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 05:24:10 pm »

I use a paper cup with water that I freeze and use to ice that way. It works better than an ice pack or bag of peas!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: