Fast Running Blog
March 28, 2024, 01:47:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rolling an ankle  (Read 5278 times)
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« on: October 21, 2009, 04:59:35 am »

So yesterday I went for a jog with Emmy since she surprised me and showed up in NY. Well maybe it was my blabbering mouth and the fact that I am always daydreaming about her, but we were coming down a hill (gravel) in the state park and I just misstepped and my left foot rolled inward. I've done that a lot with my right foot, but not really since I started running again in June of this year. It hurt a bit at first but I slowed down a minute or two and the pain started to go away. I finished the last 5+ miles of the run and stretched. Theres no bruising today under the ankle bone, just a slight pain if I try to push my toes out and away from my body. My question is do I take a day off to try to rest it or do I try to run a slow pace on it today after school? I'm going to try to stay off of it as much as possible at school today. Thanks in advance. - Howling Commando Benn over and out
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 09:38:07 am »

I rolled my ankle inward last year like that.  It seemed okay so I didn't rest it, and ended up with peroneal tendonitis that put me out for about a month. I don't know if it was directly related to the rolling incident or if it would have happened anyway, but if I were you I would play it safe, ice it, and stay off of it for a few days.   
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 06:29:36 pm »

So I had no swelling and no pain walking on it all this week. Took Wed/Thurs/Fri/Sat off of jogging. I laced up today just to jog a couple yards in the basement. No pain per say but I can feel just a bit on the outside lateral ligament I think it is. We'll see how it feels tomorrow. I am not going for any records or time goals. Goal is just to finish and have a good time Smiley. I have missed running this week!
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 06:40:55 pm »

I did the 1/2, and ended up having a blast. Ran a 2:02 on a very wet, muddy course. My legs are sore today, but the weird thing is the ankle, despite rolling it again didn't swell up. The pain though is still there when I push off of the ball of my feet. It's pain right in the front of the ankle, basically directly underneath the shin bone. What should I do? I really want to go for a jog tomorrow. Still no swelling. I hope I didn't break some tiny bone or something!
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 02:38:15 pm »

Beginning to think the pain might not be fully related to the rolling the ankle? Should I give it another day or two before I consider going to the docs? I just dont have any free time with student teaching and all. Also, should I continue to ice?
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 09:12:46 pm »

Are you limping?  If so then see a doc.  If not I guess it is all up to you how long you want to mess around with it.  If it is tendonitis than the doc will just tell you to crosstrain and ice for pain plus motrin.  I tried an ankle brace but it didn't help at all.  Of course, the doc can do an x-ray and make sure nothing is broken so it may be worth it to just go in and at least get a diagnosis or reassurance that there are no fractures.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 04:52:18 am »

Not limping, no. I will see how it feels today at school. I think I'm going to try to jog a couple miles tonight, maybe at the track where it's flat?
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 06:35:15 pm »

Been wearing brace on my ankle for a week. Went to the track tonight and jogged 5.16 miles in 43:41; 8:27 pace!
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 08:39:48 pm »

Benn,
It's all about the level of pain.  I have had some major ankle issues since I was a kid and tore them both to pieces playing basketball, backyard football, and just being an idiot.  If you can run on the track - like you did - for the next while and keep it easy and flat (plus a lot of icing and ibo to keep swelling down) do and let it heal up w/o too much stress.
Joe
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 12:37:54 pm »

I rolled my ankle in a trail race about 10 days ago and finished the race without pain.  After the race I could tell there was a slight sprain but didn't ice it as it didn't really bother me.  Ran 3 or 4 times the next week and the pain was only a 1 on a scale of 0-10 for the first mile or two, then it always went away.  On Saturday (a week after I rolled it) I went out for my long run and didn't make it a tenth of a mile before I had to stop from the ankle pain.  Ice + 2 days off and I was back with the same very slight pain that goes away after a couple miles.  Then yesterday it happened again where it was too painful to run.  More ice and I was able to run this morning (12 hours later) with very little discomfort.  It seems to strike at random.  Most of what I read said you can run on it as long as there's minimal pain.

Anyone have experience with this kind of injury?  It's a very minor sprain (didn't even bruise or swell much, if at all) but it's just weird that I've been stopped in my tracks twice.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: