Fast Running Blog
June 07, 2024, 07:13:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do you look when you run?  (Read 2343 times)
Scott
Lurker

« on: October 09, 2009, 03:28:44 pm »

I didn't feel like running today; but I did and, of course, I feel better for it.

During my run, however, I noticed that I keep my eyes down and my head slightly down as well. I didn't measure, but I seem to look about 15 feet in front of me.  Of course, as I am moving, my eyes move as well.  I look at the road in front of me (way in front), the mountains, things that catch my eye...etc.  However, my gaze always tends to come back to the same area.

I bring this up as I am a mouth breather (whether running or not...as opposed to a nose breather).  Keeping my head up a little more seems to make an impact on my breathing (or is that crazy).

Where do you look when you run?  I know its a strange question and I know that there are a ton of "smart" remarks, but I am curious. 

Go Rockies!
Traci
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 08:32:01 pm »

I find it impossible to take more than a glance at the scenery around me when I run. I always find that I concentrate on the ground 5-10 feet in front of me. I run mostly on trails, so I am always watching for tree roots, downed limbs and the occasional snake.
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 02:39:59 pm »

I look straight ahead at the TV when I run on the treadmill, other than my too-often glances at the numbers on the treadmill panel.

Running outside I also like to look around and observe things but glance down regularly to make sure nothing is in the way. But when running on trails, I think I look down much more.
Davy Crockett
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 04:56:15 pm »

On the trails I'm always looking several steps ahead.   I compare it to skiing the moguls.  To keep it going, you have to look several moves ahead.   It seems to always happen, when someone is coming toward me on the trail and I look up, down I go.  So I don't do a lot of sight-seeing while I run.   When I run in the Grand Canyon, I always have to remind myself, "if you want to see the sights, stop!"   I learned the pretty quickly.  Take a face plant over a cliff doesn't seem healthy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: