Fast Running Blog
May 22, 2024, 11:48:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Longest LT run?  (Read 3107 times)
Billy Broaddus
Lurker

« on: June 17, 2009, 02:54:56 pm »

In training for a 10K at 40 miles and five workouts per week, what would you suggest for the longest LT or tempo run? I'm looking to peak at a LT run of 4.5 miles or about 32 mintes for me. What would you suggest the longest LT run should be in training for a half marathon at 50 miles per week. I'm planning on peaking at a long run of 15 miles, tempo run of 4.5 miles and maybe 8x1000 for speedwork in training for the 10K. Does that seem reasonable?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 12:55:29 pm »

What is the cause of running only 40 miles a week? If time constraints, then I would do three workouts a week from the following collection: 2x3 mile tempo with a 3 minute recovery first a little slower than 10 K race pace, second right on the money, 6x1 mile with a 1:30 recovery at 10 K race pace starting out and a little faster at the end, 3x2 miles with 3 minute recovery first two at 10 K race pace, last a bit faster, and 5 miles starting out a little slower than 10 K race pace and running every mile 2-3 seconds faster until you cannot, then hold the pace to the finish.

If the cause is not being fit to run more, then forget the speed work, and build your base with occasional strides, pickups, and time trials to check if you are on the right track. Gradually work your way up to 60-70 miles a week.

For the half, if you are constrained by time, just at race pace or near for 5-6 miles every other day or more than that if you can handle it. If constrained by fitness, build your base.
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 01:59:49 pm »

So since you have a long-term goal of boston qual, what is your age (and thus your target time)?

I'd go longer on your tempo runs gradually, especially as you train for a 1/2 marathon, and considering marathoning is a long term goal.  I think 1000's are ok, but should be the shortest interval you do and shouldn't be a foundation type of workout.  I agree longer intervals would help more.  From your 20min 5k we know you've got some speed. 10ks and halfs are much more about your endurance, and intervals can be hard on your body, so its better to do lots of tempos than to feel trashed after interval workouts and not be able to run the next day.  Listen to your body and you should do fine. 
Billy Broaddus
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 06:41:45 pm »

So to summarize Sacha and Michelle, I should perhaps sub out the intervals and increase the weekly mileage. I don't feel knocked out by the intervals, but I do take a rest day the next day typically and then an easy run on Saturday before a longer run on Sunday. So it isn't all that demanding following the intervals. If I switch around to two tempo runs/tempo intervals and a longer run Sunday, which days would you recommend for the quality workouts?
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 09:23:19 pm »

Depends on what day you take off.  I'd do easy, hard, easy, hard, etc.  I know, brilliant advice, eh? 
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 04:26:40 pm »

Brad:

At this point, as I said earlier in a blog comment, I would recommend bringing your mileage to 60 a week gradually then doing speed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: