Fast Running Blog
July 04, 2024, 06:17:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: UVM - who's racing it?  (Read 6776 times)
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« on: June 09, 2009, 10:46:25 am »

Can we get up a list of who's racing it?  I will be a spectator and would love to cheer everyone I can by name.  If anyone gets a chance to post their race # Friday night that might also help me place a face with a name in many cases. 

Here's a list of who I know is running it:

Josse
Mary Anne
Marion
Maurine (pacing Marion?)

Ok, now everyone add to that list please  Smiley
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 11:06:43 am »

Men:

William Tete (2:17 in Nairobi)
Eziekel Ruto (2:14 in Rotterdam a while ago, most recent race 3rd in SLC with 2:24)
Shin Nozaki (2:20 in Fukuoka this year)
Seth Wold (2:22 win in Ogden this year, course record)
Jeff McClellan
me
Kory Wheatley
Jeff Shadley
Walter Brown

Women:

possibly Lisa Paxton, 2:45 marathoner, ran in the Trials. She needs a place to stay, contact her if you would like to have her stay with you. http://lisap.fastrunningblog.com/

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 03:31:48 pm by Sasha Pachev » Logged
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 11:14:11 am »

Wow, quite the deep race.  Good job to Hyrum.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 11:59:16 am »

RivertonPaul
Merri --- ? 

Michelle Lowry

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 06:34:57 pm »

Are you going to come down and watch it Allie?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 09:20:31 pm »

Steve Ashbaker joins the gang. Now we have a good shot of seeing all top 10 under 2:40 if the stars align.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 10:04:20 pm »

Merri

sorry, i was wrong.  Embarrassed

michelle - yes, i'll be there. i am volunteering, so at this point i am not quite sure where i will be, but hopefully somewhere near the finish line---this is going to be a fast race! hope to see you there.

Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 09:16:11 am »

also:
Bill Mandler (mandlerwm)
Matt Konold (MattK)
Rich Borget (rgborget)
jtshad

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 10:36:25 am »

Dang, the front end keeps getting deeper!!!

I think Tom Lee is signed up as well (who is not publically blogging right now).  I also noticed that AmberG is running it as well.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 02:15:51 pm by jtshad » Logged
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 11:32:55 am »

Best of luck to you all!

Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 09:07:06 pm »

I know nothing about this race, but it is interesting that it is getting such a big turnout compared to last year. It must either be a very nice race or a bunch of guys saw a 1000/500/250 prize structure in a race that they could have won last year. I suspect both, but I bet that there are many who are not happy to see that the kenyans are coming to town to take all the money.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 02:07:44 pm »

The reason the Kenyans are coming:

Ezekiel Ruto - his sponsor Spira pays travel expenses.
William Tete - he has a local friend that pays his travel expenses.

Shin is here locally, and needed a race. He is well off,  he does not need the money. Seth can explain why he is racing, probably for marathon experience and to see if he can beat Ezekiel, if not hold off Jeff McClellan for third, maybe pick up William Tete, he is a dark horse, who knows what kind of shape he is in, I've seen lots of pedigreed Kenyans come and crash, and now Shin comes into the picture, and that is a problem. So he might very well end up with a good effort, another marathon in his legs, and no money, happens sometimes. Jeff McClellan is there to practice not crashing, I am there because I have not run a marathon in a while, to try my magic cane sugar drink, to try a marathon in Five Fingers, and to pace Jeff. Steve saw the excitement and decided to join. Kory and Jeff Shadley got rebuffed by Ogden, but welcomed here, runners tend to go where they feel welcome. Walter is running a lot of races, I imagine, and this one of them.

I am not unhappy about Kenyans coming to get the money. If I deserve money more than they do, I need to be faster than them. Otherwise they deserve the money. Let this be a fundraiser for Kenya. $1K in the hands of a Kenyan runner for various reasons does a whole lot more good than in the hands of most US organizations and individuals. God is blessing Kenyan runners with speed to teach us humility. We could learn from them how to be fast, we could also learn how to stretch our dollars.

This turnout is rather unusual for a race like this. I think Hyrum is getting the blessings of stepping up and offering a generous prize purse relative to what he has to work with.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 05:17:52 pm »

Note to self Luz is running it too.
jtshad

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 06:35:07 am »

For me, that is part of the reason (Hyrum was nice to work with) but also just to try a new race in a new place...variety is the spice of life.  I had a several friends running Ogden who really wanted me to be there, but I also wanted to have a better recovery from Boston and had other family commitments that weekend.  So, UVM here I come.

This will be a fun race (hopefully no wind and rain though...I don't want a repeat of SGM or TCM last fall!).
Maurine Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 10:54:58 am »

Crockett has thrown his coonskin cap into the ring.
Smooth will be running it if she is not injured.

One of the reasons that a lot of us are running this year is because this race has been added as part of the Grand Slam.  That is why Smooth and I are both using it as a long training run, because we still have 2+ marathons on top of it this summer.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: