Fast Running Blog
June 04, 2024, 11:42:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Insurance/Medical Staff at a road race  (Read 2563 times)
James Moore
Vocal Lurker

« on: May 30, 2009, 03:27:53 pm »

I'm thinking about trying to put on a road race, maybe next summer. When I floated the idea to my mother (a lawyer) she started warning me about the need for medical staff, huge amounts of liability insurance. What if my race only costs $5? What am I really obligated to provide? Any input from race directors would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not looking to make money, but I'd like the money to go to putting on a good race and having some good prizes, not to insurance companies.
Gary Culver
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 04:19:48 pm »

Based on my limited experience, back in AZ....

Check with "all" (there may be several) owners of the venue as soon as possible to determine their requirements and their willingness to allow you to use the desired route... If run on public streets, you will "probably" be required to submit a standard town/city application that details requirements and provide for uniformed traffic control at your expense (off-duty law enforcement)... Ensure you know exactly who owns every inch of the planned route.. i.e., does it cross private or state property, does it cross city lines, does it cross county lines? .. Contact everyone in advance to secure written permission (an e-mail, stating that you have permission and that no permit is required seems adequate)

Secure USATF Sanction (This provides you with liability insurance in varied amounts.. make sure the individual coverage level at least equals the above requirement for each land-owner (you will need to submit an application for insurance for each individual party)
- USATF should provide guidance on the need for and degree of required medical coverage... if the race is held in a town or city, simply planning to "call 911" may suffice... for a race in a remote area, you should have paramedics on station... Some RDS feel they are safer calling 911, since this avoids the possibility that you will be sued for providing "Improper treatment"... Make sure Race Info describes your medical plan.

Write and have all runners sign a strong "Prospective Exculpatory Covenant" (AKA Waiver) that specifically warns that injury and/or death may occur and lists as many forms of injury/causes of death as the course hazards may present.. i.e., tripping, falling, misstep, contact with vehicles, contact with trees and bushes and signs (no need to get extreme, but make sure that a judge will agree that the runners were adequately warned of hazards)
- Compare waivers from several local races
- List by name: Yourself, co-RDs, and all property owners.  List in general "Sponsors, Volunteers, Contractors" and other categories of race manpower.
- I will be happy to provide the one I used (It was approved by a corporate lawyer and a county attorney) .. It seems like overkill, but it allowed me to sleep better.
Note: The power of protection provided by waivers,  varies state to state... make an effort to research past claims and judgements.

Or... Make the race totally informal.. and ask for a $5 donation to cover expense.. This works best for very small races in areas off the beaten path, i.e., on BLM or Forest Service Land (In AZ, The US Forest Service allows up to 75 participants without a permit as long as no entry fee is charged.) 

Enjoy;
Gary

Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 04:04:37 pm »

James:

I think USATF sanction should be more than sufficient for a small race. At least that is what I am going to do for my race. Of course, there is always a chance that some idiot can sue you, but there is a greater risk that you will die in a car accident on your way to the race. 
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 06:23:27 pm »

I host three races a year. Just get the USATF insurance and require a waiver be signed. You will be fine.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: