Fast Running Blog
April 28, 2024, 10:12:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Behind the Knee pain...does anybody know what this is?  (Read 3574 times)
Colby
Vocal Lurker

« on: May 15, 2009, 08:18:01 am »

Hey guys, I am knew to the blog and a fairly new runner. A couple of months ago I started getting a pain behind my knee. It almost feels as if there is a growth there, but I can't physically feel anything with my fingers when I feel around back there. I think it may be tendinitis really. It is hard to stretch my right ham string without the pain in the back of my knee flaring up. Does that sound like tendinitis? Thanks!
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 09:12:24 am »

Sounds more like "runner's Knee" or patellofemoral pain syndrome or chondormalcia.  Lots of info on the web on causes, prevention and recovery.  I have had it before and got over it with a few weeks of cross training/rest and coming back easy.  Good luck in the recovery.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 11:11:57 am »

If you are talking about feeling it more in the back of your knee (as opposed to directly under your kneecap) then it is a hamstring issue.  Use a tennis ball or foam roller and actually work the area about 2 inches above the joint and do gentle stretches for your hamstring.  I went to an ART therapist when I had this and he "fixed" it in one session -- one of the easiest injuries I have ever had to fix.
Colby
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 06:34:27 am »

Thanks Bonnie, what you described is more accurate. It isn't actually in the knee joint itself, but on the back of my leg directly behind my knee. Hopefully it is just a hamstring issue. I will try and massage it out. Thanks!
Todd Small
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 08:30:47 pm »

I would get a x-ray to rule out a baker's cyst, I don't think it would be this but directly behind the knee deserves an xray instead of guessing.  A sports doc/phsio or chiro will know right away to xray or not by palpating the knee.

Being a runner I suggest your find a physio or Chiro that knows lots about running.  ART is a technique that I do and is great for any runner with an injury.

Ice it too,

Good luck

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: