Fast Running Blog
April 27, 2024, 03:47:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Achilles Pain  (Read 4709 times)
Jeff
Lurker

« on: May 11, 2009, 09:01:57 am »

I ran the SLC Marathon last month strictly as a training run for the Ogden Marathon.  I took things very easy in the marathon and felt great during and immediately after it.  However, the Monday following the marathon I went out for an easy run and noticed some pretty good pain in my right achilles.  It caused me to stop and walk a few times.  I took a couple of days off that week, but was still able to run most days that week. 

As the weeks have gone on, the pain has gotten worse.  The last two weeks I have been in the cycle of running one day, and then taking 3-4 days off before being able to run again.  Last Monday I ran one mile, and then had to walk back home.  I was able to run about 10 slow miles on Thursday (not really any pain, but the achilles didn’t feel completely normal).  I ran close to 12 miles on Saturday and could tell within the first few miles that the achilles was going to be sore (http://jeffloveless.fastrunningblog.com/).

I have read that I should ice the achilles (which I have done quite a bit).  I have also read that I could keep running…….and that I should stop running.  I have heard that I should avoid uphill, speed, and even downhill.  I have also heard that perhaps it is something with my shoes (I’ve never had any trouble with the type of shoes I run in).

I would gladly take any suggestions to get rid of this.  I have big plans to really increase my mileage as the summer goes on and really try to bring my marathon/half marathon times down quite a bit.  I’ve always been able to run through any nagging pain, but this one has bothered me quite a bit.  Thanks.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 09:06:55 am »

Jeff- I was having some achilles tightness last month- not pain that was stopping me from running, but definite tightness that was getting worse.  It started after a killer uphill run (10% grade for 40 minutes).  I think it was just inflamed/strained.  I took 5 days off and it did not help much.  So I did my normal mileage again, but with no uphills (which are hard on the achilles) and no speedwork.  And I iced religiously.  5-6 times a day for about 30 minutes each.  Between avoiding the uphills and the ice, it got better over about 3 weeks.  I can still feel it if I go up a long, steep uphill, but it is better other than that. 

That is my only achilles experience, and I'm sure others have better advice than mine.  But, my experience would point towards regular icing and no uphills.
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 11:01:09 am »

My tips would be:
- Regular icing
- Heels pad (anything that you can wear on your shoes that would raise your heel about 1/4" will do). Running and normal shoes.
- Keep running.
- No speed training
- No uphills or downhills.
- Avoid other sports (basketball, tennis, etc) that strain your achilles.
- Pineapple juice
- If possible, get a soft massage on tendon everyday.
- Patience, lots of patience.
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 04:57:50 pm »

I would second massage.  I would not do the marathon, but wait until you run one with your body in a happier place.
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 05:04:26 pm »

I also just bought this at GNC store:
http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3126549

Its supposed to help on soft cartilage...only had it for 1 day, so too soon to say if its any good.

Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 10:32:00 am »

One more thing:

"Eccentric strengthening of the leg muscles, particularly the calf muscles. Do daily or every other day calf raises on a stair or using a calf raise machine in a gym. Start slowly using just your body weight doing three sets of 10 or 15. When this can be done without pain, gradually increase the speed, number of repetitions per set, amount of weight, and number of sets. 
Concentrate on the eccentric rather than the concentric portion of the exercise (the calf lowering rather than the calf raising portion of calf raises). On each repitition, be sure to go all the way down for a full stretch of the Achilles tendon. Do the calf raises after, rather than before, any other exercises that you are doing."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: