Fast Running Blog
July 07, 2024, 10:07:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Injury - Three Weeks Until Marathon  (Read 2801 times)
Scott
Lurker

« on: April 13, 2009, 01:11:50 pm »

I have been training for a Marathon on May 3rd.  I've been pretty diligent about keeping with my training program (Advanced Marathoning).  About a week ago, I injured my hip/back.  I had run a fairly easy nine-miler, than skied in some heavy powder.  The next morning I did 19 miles on a treadmill (we were on spring break).  I think that 24 hour span, put the hurt on my back/hip.  My runs since haven't been very good and I had a painful one on Saturday (only could go 5 miles).

I saw a chiropractor this morning and got some deep massage work done and some minor adjustments .  He seemed pretty optimistic and thought I'd respond good and should be fine relatively soon.  As mentioned, I ran 5 miles last Saturday, took Sunday off and am taking today off.  He suggested trying to ease back into my routine on Tuesday (providing I am feeling up for it).

With less that 21 days until my marathon I, of course, am freaking out.  I know I need to listen to my body, and wish I handled last week better.  But, I am where I am.  So, all of these scenarios are running through my mind.  If I get better relatively soon, how should I approach the last two (+) weeks.  What if I don't really get better until two weeks before the marathon?  Should I run it?  I'm entering the tapering phase, and hate to lose workout days because I know they're so important.  It's driving me crazy to think about...I know it all depends on how my body responds/doesn't respond over the next number of days.

So, this post is probably more therapeutic than anything, but perhaps you can provide some information if you've had a similar experience.  I've been trying to read as much as possible and search this post and others for information.  Any thoughts/advice would be great.

Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 01:42:02 pm »

I would take it really easy and try to get healed up for the race. You should be in taper mode anyway. The hard work was already done. Any workouts done in the last 3 weeks would not have helped out a maraton perfomance that much anyway.

It's much better to make it to the starting line healthy and not fully prepared than to start the race injured.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 02:59:59 pm »

I once got a stress fracture 3 weeks out.  I did my best to aqua jog and eliptical for 2 weeks, then started running a bit the last week.  I did ok at the marathon.  If you can cross train, do it.

If you can't do anything for a week or so, view it as the start of your taper.  If you improve after a week and can run again, then go harder that next week than you would have per your normal taper (after all, you just had a week of complete rest).  Then do your normal last week taper.

If you can run the marathon without pain/risk of further injury, do it.  Depending how you feel and how much you can workout the next 3 weeks, you may have to lower your expectations a bit.  But like Dallen said, the hard work is already done, so rely on your months of training.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 06:17:42 pm »

There will be another marathon. If I were you, I would heal and try again in 3-6 months.

Some thoughts for future reference. A quote from Renato Canova:

http://www.mensracing.com/athletes/interviews/2005/renatocanova.html

"Another important thing: What is a program? I write, for example, three months of a program. At the end, there is the final goal. When I arrive at the end, if I compare what I wrote before and what really the athletes did, I find more than 50% difference. Because if I write the program 100 days before the competition, after 10 days I am not at day number 10 of 100, I am at day number zero of 90. So every day we have to check what the training can produce, and you are always at a start of your preparation"

Many injuries are caused by trying to follow a program without adapting it from day to day to your current condition. As smart as Pfitzinger or anybody else might be they do not know your body, you are the only one that does. You need to learn to listen to it. There is no short cut, there is no way around it.
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:19:49 pm »

I am with Sasha. If you are not healed, don't try running a marathon. You will end up with a worse injury and be out for more time. If you do feel better and run the race, don't be afraid to drop out if the pain comes back. Injury is a legitimate reason for dropping out of a race. Good luck.
Scott
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 07:18:01 am »

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.  I appreciate all the responses and, again, am grateful that you took time to help me out.  Alot of good information was provided and it did help me "settle" my mind somewhat.  Have a wonderful day!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: