Fast Running Blog
June 23, 2024, 01:05:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the fastrunningblog dying?  (Read 10398 times)
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 07:56:11 pm »

I think alot of us have attempted higher mileage and have gotten injuries.  Higher mileage is tantamount to mandatory for reaching your potential, but there is a risk/reward trade off.  I try to train smart and reduce the risk of injury, but the risk is always there, and it increases (exponentially?  not sure I would go that far) with mileage.  I think it is worth risking injury to know and experience your limits, but I do think that may be part of the reason why our blog's mileage board is experiencing lower numbers at the top right now.  Watch out, though, I intend to roar this summer. Wink
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 08:40:53 pm »

Michelle- I find it interesting that a lot of the high-mileage people who are injured only took a week or so off after the fall marathons (you, Logan, Clyde).  And those who tried to train for a winter marathon didn't have great success, either.  I think the marathon took more out of us than usual, and we never really recovered.  Just a thought.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 09:28:17 am »

It's true I took a week off, but that was the most I have ever taken off after a marathon.  It was a mid season marathon for me.  Perhaps my season was too long (nine months).  I'm going to start a new topic about this because I think its interesting but not on topic.
Maurine Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 03:13:10 pm »

It is interesting to read the opinions of some of the people that have been on this blog for quite some time.

There are several of us that just started using the blog last summer and many of us have kind of formed our own little group.  We are not on the FRB team, but we are runners that are learning and growing.

I think that you will probably see several small offshoots of user groups with people banding together based upon speed, training, location, interests, etc.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 07:48:04 pm »

Maurine- that is great, we love to see all kinds of FRB-ers joining together to support each other.  I know I have a few groups of people I follow based on ability and geography. 
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 01:51:12 pm »

Please note that was Jon's 666 entry - hmmm?!
Adam R Wende

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 08:05:31 pm »

Dave, I'm glad Jon moved up in number.
Adding my voice to the chorus I think the injuries really sapped a few of us. I look on a lot of the blogs that I used to follow daily and notice no races since STG. I think the combination of such a hard year climaxing in such a crappy race for many just killed motivation. I also notice as far as the discussion board goes there are now so many good old threads that some of the "hottest" topics have already been covered so the old-timers do not bring those issues up again. I'm hoping that as the weather gets nicer the sun will help liven things up a bit. Also it seems like many of the injured (self included) are getting past their demons and back to it so I'm looking forward to some regained drive. However, I don't think we should count out those still pounding the pavement. Jeff has been amazing this winter and obviously from the number of posts by Paul and Jon the true founders are alive and kicking.
Michelle, I didn't notice the penguin until I read your post. Paul that is so funny...
Joe Furse
Posting Member

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 03:11:12 pm »

Well, for me it was my first experience with a Cache Valley winter.  IT SUCKS!  Not that I'm some big runner dude that's on the top page of the mileage board all the time and gets noticed when I don't put in the miles, but yeah.  It's getting better though.  I'm sure next year when I know what I'm in for I will be more motivated.  haha
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 03:24:02 pm »

Well, for me it was my first experience with a Cache Valley winter.  IT SUCKS!

Wimp...  Wink

It takes a true runner to survive all winter running in Logan.  Although I'm sure some Canadien or Alaskan is gonna pipe up soon and put us all to shame...
James Moore
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 10:03:09 pm »

I've been a member of the Blog for about a year now and I'm so glad that I joined. It sucked running "alone" my first 6 months or so in Utah after running with a team for 8 straight years. Even if it isn't as tight knit as it once was, there's still a pretty strong sense of community. Maybe we could brainstorm some ways to make it better. We could have a "fastrunning blog monthly news and notes" section where we would highlight peoples accomplishments of all levels. Just throwing it out there.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2009, 07:58:01 am »

Perhaps a fastrunningblog wiki? I wouldn't know what to put on it, but wiki's are all the rage right now.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2009, 11:47:27 am »

Paul -great idea. Wiki on the ToDo list.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: