Fast Running Blog
July 04, 2024, 04:27:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Marathon seasons  (Read 3743 times)
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« on: March 08, 2009, 09:31:24 am »

Hey so, what's the ideal season length for a competitive marathoner?  If it is 6 months long, what do the elites do during the other 6 months?  Do they do two 5 month seasons, with downtime/or base building in between?  Should there be one long season (7 months, one month base, 6 month train), then a shorter season in winter with speedy racing?  I want to do next year differently.  This is a question for my coach and at this point it's ya'll  Grin
Jeff Linger

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 10:10:45 am »

The ideal training cycle is about 4-6 months long, which is why most of the pre-written plans are 18-24 week programs. How long is optimal will vary from individual to individual, but each cycle should be followed with some degree of rest. Exactly what is rest will vary again from individual to individual. We do not get stronger when we run .... we get stronger after we run when our bodies are given rest and recovery allowing us to make adaptations. Each training cycle should look essentially the same in terms of the generalities, but the specifics will always vary from individual to individual. If you're interested in this stuff a bit more let me know and I'll scan the pages from my USATF coaching certification book out of the chapter on Training Theory.
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 11:45:08 am »

I think that too many of us, including me, try to turn the entire year into one long season. We train hard all year and only vary our training a little to fit with the upcoming big race. This is not what the elites do. Elite marathoners will only try to peak for one or two races a year. And many elite runners will take up to a month to adequately recover before going into a base building phase for the next cycle. Many of us are unwilling to take the recovery time and thus we are not doing anything to break our training into seasons/cycles/pheses/etc. Then we end up injured, try to come back too quickly, get reinjured, and so on. I suppose that is why we need coaches, to tell us when to take it easy.
Jeff Linger

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 12:10:01 pm »

We train hard all year and only vary our training a little to fit with the upcoming big race . . . . Many of us are unwilling to take the recovery time and thus we are not doing anything to break our training into seasons/cycles/pheses/etc.

Such a pattern also fails to lead to adaptation. The single most important word that should be on every runner tongue is adaptation. We do the same thing over and over again, week after week, month after month, year after year. And we think that if we just keep doing this, eventually, our bodies will become accustom to it and adapt. Maybe that's true, but its not the most efficient way to get adaptations. An optimal training cycle begins with base mileage that increases to a peak and then begins a slight decline through to the end of the cycle. As the cycle goes on the intensity (speed if you will) follows an opposing pattern to the mileage (volume), to some degree. If the two were graphed together you would see a somewhat sharp up graph in volume and then a slow steady decline, and the intensity would do the opposite. A slow steady up graph, then a steep upclimb before it dropped off a bit before the peak race. When we talk about adaptations there are 2 places we tend to see them within a training cycle. We see adaptation occurring about 7-10 days after particular sessions and we can also see adpatations occurring around 28 days. For these reasons, Macro Cycles (the entire training period) is broken down in into meso-cycles (4 week cycles) and micro-cycles (7 days-10 day cycles).
Jeffrey McClellan
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 12:35:27 pm »

I really think that everybody here is making this all out to be way more complicated than it actually is.  I don't think that we can really say with any type of certainty regarding how long a marathon season should be.  I think it depends on the person.  Do I think that we need to take breaks here and there, yes.  Do I think that we need to use periods of time to back off and either to run fewer miles or to race less/run hard less often, yes.  However, I don't think that we should just compartmentalize things and say that we have to run easy during certain months of the year, and we have to stick to a certain time frame and schedule when preparing for upcoming races because we are in a specific macrocycle or mesocycle.  That is the general attitude that I think leads to injury, because if we need to back off we don't, due to the training program which tells us not to.  We do need rest, but I think it is best to listen to your body, make a general schedule planning for the upcoming year and what you think will be best for you, but be willing to change that schedule if your body tells you to.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 01:12:35 pm »

I agree with Jeff McClellan. Listen to your body is the key.
Jeff Linger

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 02:08:41 pm »

Simply because you break your season into manageable cycles and focus those cycles on specific adaptations doesn't mean you don't listen to your body. Blind following is not a bi-product of organization. Any time you have a plan and refuse to deviate from it if your body is telling you otherwise you're bound to get injured. But to say you're making it too complex, or that you'll simplify it by just listening to your body is much akin to saying, "if you just eat right" you won't get fat. Of course this makes sense, if you understand the important aspects of right such as quantity, quality, frequency, etc. There are systems that have stood the tests of time and have lead to more beneficial results. Do you need to follow them? Not necessarily. Do you need to get as fast as you can? Not necessarily. But one shouldn't call something 'too complex' because its more complex than they are willing to go. On a side note, this reminds me of the time a relation of mine said, "The only thing books's good fer is sitting on ta git taller or smackin the yungins wif.'
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 07:26:47 pm »

Ahh, Linger, that's funny!

I agree in a plan, but I don't want to plan out a mesocycle that's five months away just because so much can change between now and then.  I would love a copy of those theory pages, jeff.  My email is on my resume on the FRB team page.  Thanks so for the feedback.  I think both sides have valid points but I would like to learn more about types of coaching, since I will be seeking out a coach in the late spring.
Jeff Linger

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 02:44:17 pm »

Glad you appreciate my analogical wit. I'll get those pages to you in the near future. Kind of busy right now and I have to dig them up.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: