Fast Running Blog
June 26, 2024, 01:55:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First time marathoner and music  (Read 6025 times)
Scott Hughes
Lurker

« on: September 24, 2008, 05:06:43 pm »

First of all running is new to me. Running a marathon is even newer. I have been training this summer for the SGM and am very excited about it. I was reading the web site and there is a statment about music/headphones etc. All through my training I have been listening to music and enjoying my runs. I need some guidance as to how strick they are on the music thing. Of course I am not an elite runner by any stretch and wiull not be winning any division just wanting a great experience. Do I listen to music or not? Thanks for your help!
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 07:14:00 pm »

Assuming you are doing St. George, here is what is on their website:

RULES OF COMPETITION AND RUNNER SAFETY
The St George Marathon is organized and conducted under USA Track & Field rules and regulations.

2. The USA Track and Field Association, the governing body for running in the United States, has passed the following “Rule of Competition”.
Article IV Rule #144 entitled Assistance to Athletes:
“The following shall be considered assistance and therefore NOT allowed.
Section F)
the visible possession or use by athletes of video or audio cassette recorders or players, TV's, CD or DVD players, radio transmitters or receivers, mobile phones or computers or any similar devices in the competition area.

The St George Marathon staff asks for your assistance in maintaining a safe environment for all runners. Please abide by this rule.

In other words, per USATF rules, you are not supposed to use headphones.

Unofficially, many runners do.  I don't know to what degree they will enforce this rule.  If you want to be safe, don't use headphones during a race.  If you do, do so at your own risk.  And, please keep the volume low enough that you can hear what is happening around you and that other's can't hear your music.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 07:26:09 pm »

Depends if you care about breaking the rules or not. The way I look at it, the race is providing a service to us. It is good form to submit to whatever rules they put forth.
Marcie J.
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 08:19:52 pm »

I talked to the race director of st. george and she said they are not enforcing it this year, in 2009 they will and most races will, if you are trying for a BQ she advises you not to wear them though.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 08:35:44 pm »

You should listen to your body instead of music anyway.
Scott Hughes
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 09:18:51 pm »

Thanks everyone! The next few runs I have will be without music...listening to my body. I appreciate your comments. This is a great site and blog. I have learned so much and it has all helped me be a better runner.
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 10:16:05 pm »

Chiming in a little late here, but I can tell you from personal experience that I have run sometimes with music, sometimes without.  My first SGM, I ran with an mp3 player.  I don't know if it helped me or not, as it was my first marathon ever.  Last year was my second, I ran without.  I ran with a pace group most of the way, and enjoyed chatting with other people and in general, being more aware of my surroundings.  When it came time to go down the canyon, I was able to enjoy the beauty of the scenery around me without being distracted by my music.  In addition, at around mile 24, some guy and I who were both struggling latched on to each other and tried to help each other through the end.  That would not have happened without the music.  I am not saying listening to music during a run is bad - to each his (or her) own.  And like I said, sometimes I listen to music during a run too.  But from personal experience, I would definitely say don't use them during the marathon - enjoy the experience.  And welcome to the blog!  We all hope you stay here.
Jody Hinton
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 02:45:22 pm »

Up until the last few months I had only run with my ipod but started running with out it more often.  I have gotten to where I actually enjoy running with out music and would rather visit with friends.  It is still hard some days on my own but I enjoy the silence.
Scott Hughes
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 03:28:59 pm »

I have been training by myself and that is the reason I love running with music. I did go out today on a short 4 mile run and it wasn't too bad. I did run into a neighbor and ran 2 miles with her. If I was running with someone I can see how that would take the need away from music. At the same time I do enjoy my runs by myself....I am a loner. Well, I am working on the 'non music' runs ahead. Today when I have been in my car I have turned off the radio and just found myself looking around more..It was a great day for that today in St. George.
Thanks again everyone....this was an honest question, I am not one to go against rules. I have just seen a lot of people running the marathon with headsets on and needed to know what was proper.
Laurie Pope
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 10:18:32 am »

I love having music with me.  Sometimes I use it just to "zone out" sometimes to help keep a pace, but in a marathon I run with my ipod, but don't usually put my headphones in until about mile 7 and only if there isn't someone to talk with.  The last few miles I never listen to it either, just focused on finishing.  I also agree with others don't be too loud and gone with the headphones.  I wear hearing aids but can't while running but still my music is soft enough to enjoy and still be able to talk with others.
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 10:36:33 am »

I've done as Sasha suggests and I've tried to listen to my body which has been pretty scary.  I do almost all my runs with music, but I can also understand the rule.  Sometimes I find the music helps me feel more upbeat and I tend to run faster, but there are also times when I get lost in the music, my mind starts to wonder and my pace tends to slow down (which is not what you want during a marathon.)  Last year, I ran the first 7 miles without music, then put the ipod on for awhile, but then kept turning it off when I was running with a group.
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 07:01:35 pm »

If you are going to wear them during the race, you make sure you are not going to be oblivious to everyone else running around you. Keep in mind that at any point there may be runners or vehicles trying to get by or around you.
Megan Marie Schedler
Lurker

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 03:34:51 pm »

First time marathoner: me too... I just ran my first marathon last weekend, with my ipod nano on the entire time. I kept the volume really low so I could still hear everything around and not bother my neighbors. I contacted the race director prior to make sure I would not be disqualified... many ohter runners had their head phones on, too. But some races will disqualify you... I will be running in the next Boston mar. so I'm definately going to have to ditch the tunes that day. good luck with your first marathon! Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: